Date: 2013-06-06 22:59
An attempt to fix / make some "workarounds" with Alpha version sounds.
The intention was to make the game more enjoyable until the final version is ready or the devs fix the sounds. I'm not sure if its really better, take it "as is", there are 5 pages of sound related issues on Tracker so it's still a long way to go, not much can be done at this point. If you want to contribute, feel free to do it, most of the work was done around BIS original sounds (changed volumes etc).
Server key was provided, everything it's safe as all changes are on the client side.
1. Set your speakers / headsets volume to the "normal" volume you use to play other games or listen to music. That should be around 40-60%.
2. Edit you audio settings, make sure the "sound effects" volume is close to default value, somewhere around 80%.
3. Install the mod like any other mod:
Extract into the ArmA 3 Directory, by default this is located in:
32-Bit - C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/ArmA 3/
64-Bit - C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/ArmA 3/
After extraction it should look like this:
You can also use the "Arma 3 Alpha" folder in your "My Documents" folder. Your folder setup could than look like for example this:
You'll also need to add a Launch Parameter to Steam, in order to do so right-click on ArmA 3 Alpha and click Properties and then Set Launch Options. In the window that opens enter in -mod=@your_mod_folder_name
For using multiple mods you would then do so like this:
You can also use -nosplash to get rid of the splash art and intro videos.
And of course you can also enable and disable community made addons and mods through the in-game Options Expansions menu if you do not want to mess with startup parameters!
When the above information still does not provide you with enough to learn how to install custom addons and mods you can always ask in our Guide On Installing Mods.
4. Enter the game, notice some ambient sounds, gear, enemies shooting at you, bullets flying, bullets impact, MX and EBR sound.
To tune up the sounds, you need to hear the ambient "buzz" as a "natural" background noise, not disturbing, not the wind, barely hearable, to have a feeling of space "depth". So turn on the volume until you get so, I think this is the best you can get in current configuration.
I will be waiting for the new Alpha version with some sound fixes, I think they fixed some of the internal issues with the sound and some better mods can be done. Right now, I was able to change footsteps volume only but "audible distance", due to a bug.
- footsteps and gear adapted to the new Alpha version (+0.60)
- adapted to the new Alpha version
- reworked gear sounds
- added custom city footsteps sounds
- server signature fixed
- higher breath volume
- Updated with some milder gear sounds, I guess the effect of the last one was too intense. No more "stones bag" effect I suppose.
- released a new version without the need to tune up all sounds too loud
- BI forums
Tags: No tags