Date: 2012-10-25 10:04
Isla Duala is a fictional 100km2 African island divided into two countries: Molatia on North and Afrene on South. Border runs along the river and there is a constant tension between both countries. Both countries are backed by different developed world countries that abuse their natural resources: oil and diamonds in Molatia and tourism (natural beauty) in Afrene. Recent discovery of rich oil reserves on Hazena (NW Molatia) ignited the old hatred between countries and Molatia is using fresh income to boost its military. Agressive Molatia is ready to invade weaken Afrene... but US/Europe forces with UN are there to keep the balance and enforce peace.
Countries & History
Duala split into two countries in 1993 and civil war lasted for 12 years costing many lives. After that UN troops managed to bring end to the chaos and in 2009 the borders came back under control of local armies on both sides. Marks of previous decade-long war can be seen even today and no-man zone still divides both countries with high fence running all along the border. Only few of the natives dare to travel across. Buffer zone limits the possibility of new conflicts.
But current peace can be very decieving. With recent diamond and oil findings in Molatia their war machine is growing. European and US peacekeeping forces are currently present in Afrene in small numbers, but this might change very soon. Russia and China are in close business ties with Molatia and Afrene is mainly providing services for US and European tourists. War between Molatia and Afrene might be just around the corner...
African vegetation can be seen everywhere: towns, savannah, desert and jungle. Duala is pretty dry land, but some areas near water feature lush forests and thick greenery. Savannah covers most of the land, while sand and mud is around river beds and beaches. There are no really large hills, rare ones feature rock formations. Guys travelling savannah will find shelter from the sun under acacia trees. Some water rich areas feature thick undergrowth with large datepalm trees and other palms and bushes. There is a vulcano on NW island of Hazena(Rep. of Molatia) but it is resting for many years now.
Infantry: Molatia is known to amass troops with fast conscription and training in all settlements and bases. Every male that reaches 13-year of age is sent to a training camp to get familiar with assault rifles and army discipline. They rely on old Russian infantry equipment.
Transport: Molatia increased mobility by acquisition of new BMP-2 APCs and (unarmed) Gazelle transporters. Army moves in convoys with Russian Ural trucks guarded by Datsun 4x4s, armed with PKT machineguns. Additional defense is usually acquired with a single BMP-2 or Gazelle-CAS escort.
Armor: Molatia usually always find a space for an old armor - recently they updated their armored divison with T-72s instead of aging T-55s.
Airforce: consists of aging Mig-21s multi-role aircraft and Su-24MK Fencer bombers. Both types serve well, since Afrene does not have any modern air defences. Due to island size these planes are a big threat to the Afrene and can reach any town in matter of a minute and strike a critical blow. Su-24s were bought from an unknown Ex-Soviet block republic with refurbished engines and upgraded avionics - reason for this deal were Afrenian Leopard tanks that needed to be stopped in case of the Southern Allied invasion.
Molatia also bought upgraded Gazelle helicopters from France. France did not want to sell them any weapons, so they got them armed by Iran and unknown black-market dealer. Iran confirmed a shipment of 150 Toophan missiles, reverse-engineered TOWs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toophan). Unknown black market dealers got Molatia a Herstall HMP-400 gunpods (.50 cal - 12,7mm) that they quickly mounted on.
Allies & Business Ties: Russia, China, Iran. France distanced itself from it due to new agressive Molatian politics, but still does a business deal or two.
Infantry: Afrene is a lot smaller in numbers in comparison to the Northern neighbour. They rely closely on military ties with EU & US Armies. Usually Afrene provides training facilities for these armies and gets constant backup in return. US supplied more than 10,000 M16 rifles with ammo in recent years, but it proved not so reliable in the dusty Dualan environment. So Afrene selected an Austrian Steyr Aug as their main rifle with a bit modified variant.
Police: they are the Afrenian town guards. Priority is keeping peace in settlements. They are mobile with police painted Pinzgauers and armed Datsun jeeps, but in case the shit hits the fan they have Army HQ on the speed-dial.
Transport: Pinzgauer 4x4s were bought in substantial numbers in 2010, so they use that for all squad movements. Convoys are protected by Datsuns armed with 7.62mm machineguns.
Armor: Due to recent T-72s Molatian reinforcement Germany agreed to sell old Leopard 1A5 tanks to Afrene. They have already seen the combat and their wicked leopard camo really blends them into the desert. Afrenian tank group is still 1/4 of the Molatian size so CAS planes are on standby when they are rolling.
Airforce: Sweden sold aging Viggen aircrafts to Afrene and updated them with new electronics. There are two paint camos and three different roles: CAP, Attack, CAS. US/EU provided them with AGM-65 Maverick missiles, AIM-9 Sidewinders and plenty of FFARs. Viggens operate from main airport and they are usually stored in hardened hangars. Afrene is known to hide the planes in case the main runway would be taken out. Alternative airstrip is unpaved, so usually the only paved International civilian/army airport is heavily guarded.
Allies & Business Ties: United States of America, European Union countries (UK, Netherlands, Slovenia, Sweden, France, Austria, Germany, Poland).
Border & Buffer zone
Central river dried up in the hot recent months so many new passages are possible. UN set a fence border on Molatian side and a substantial buffer zone is in place in central and East regions. Town of Numbo recieves an occasional mortar shelling.
There's no confirmation on mine fields, but in decade long war a lot of them were placed and later removed by international mine clearing teams. Afrene built a wall around a border town on East in order to stop Molatian terrorists travelling around. Town of Ursana is on constant alert and is guarded by walls. Both sides also have powerful air radars covering most valleys. Afrene set up a heliport near border to stop smuggling operations. Molatia uses helicopters stationed far North in safe cover of thick jungle. There is a rumor that jungle outposts also house Russian instructors training local troops, but there is no official word on that.
On West side there is a lush green island in control of Afrene, but Molatia is provoking by sending in commandos to its jungle - main reason is main road ambush & recon. Afrene set a new base on top of the highest hill with a small helipad. When they built another radar station overlooking the Molatian Town of Kwako, Molatia launched a guided bomb attack in the cover of the darkness and took out the radar building.
There are several border crossings that are usually manned by a small guard team.
Settlements and Towns
Both Afrene and Molatia have capitol towns: Kinsella and Balabango. Slums can be found in both as majority of people living on Duala are very poor. Smaller towns feature markets, industrial compounds, rent houses, offices, etc. All towns and villages are marked on map. Soccer is a popular sport on Duala, so governments built at least 4 new fields to host matches.
Highway is connecting both Capital Towns and crosses the border at the main river pass. Both countries paved the majority of their roads, so travelling is faster in comparison with other African countries. An European company got hired in 2011 by both companies to build two long bridges: one connecting Hazena with Caspal-Swonto and other Vixena with Kinsella. They did it in record time.
Many Molatians speak French and lately, interesting, Russian language. Russia invested a lot and many imported Russian workers found new home here. Official language remains French. Molatians do not like foreigners, but are satisfied with Chinese and Russian companies that operate there as they provide work possibilities for them. They hate Westerners.
Afrenians speak quite well English but official language is Afrikaans. They are very good hosts for various touristic activities. They love Europeans and US tourists.
- project took two and half months to reach release state. After the first couple of updates Duala became one of the most popular islands in the community. Project recieved a lot of praise... so, new update came to build on gamers experience.
- Operation Flashpoint's Tonal is a big inspiration and you can find a tribute - a town looking exactly the same as on Tonal. Author is happy to recieve good review by one of the original makers of Tonal.
- Duala got mentioned in several PC Gaming magazines and even in Arrowhead Expansion you can spot the reference in the credits ticker ;)
- it is considered one of the most played custom islands
More information about the island and the units can be found here:
Requirements: You need to have Arma 2 and I also recommend you to use Arrowhead addon combined with it. Make sure you're using the latest official patch for both games.
Unpack folder @duala to your ArmA2 root folder and then you have two options:
a) run game and under Expansions menu enable folders @duala, click OK and restart game.
b) or just run game with -mod=@duala parameter.
Island will then appear in map list and is ready for use.
Admins can grab server keys if they are running a signed server.
Three very IMPORTANT notes:
- Berghoff's vegetation is v1.24t2 and is already included in @duala\addons folder. It is a special optimised version.
- Be sure to delete any previous versions prior to the installation! Check other mod folders for duplicate pbos and bisign files.
- older versions of islands Panthera and Lingor use outdated ibr_plants addon. Use the Duala one, be careful when using Duala with these two islands!
As we always recommend use modfolders to seperate the custom content from the official game content to prevent problems.
For different ways to set up your modfolders and use them please visit our FAQ.
When you are using the Steam version you can find a Steam mod installation and activation FAQ here.
Included .pbo files:
Units (class list)::
Videos of older versions!
Open Issues & Bugreport:
- using zetaborn air units causes a small warning window error (optika_tl), but you can click OK to continue
- BIS's hangar object "old_hut02" has a graphical glitch with a shadow when using "Normal" shadow game option
Solution: Use Shadows=HIGH or VERY HIGH under Video Options to fix that.
- couple of RPT entries
Solution: There are couple of error/notice lines with some units, but nothing game-breaking.
- I need to add more MSO positions (for advanced mission makers) - better yet: send me a sketch.
Please report all bugs to the tracker located here:
IceBreakr is from Slovenia, Europe. He's been active in gaming community since 1997 working on several total conversions and mods. He joined GT Interactive (later acquired by Infogrames) to finish up two titles on Duke3D engine. Later he put his passion to level design on Source engine with Kuma, LLC on titles such as KumaWar and KumaWar 2 and couple other mods. His true passion is now running his own mil-sim team/community and creating open worlds such as Bohemia's ArmA & ArmA 2 engines. Website icebreakr.info now features such projects/islands, so be sure to check them out. Try them, they are FREE and a gift to a BIS Community.
Visit the Official website: http://www.icebreakr.info
IceBreakr | Project Leader, Creative Designer, Terrain Maker, Coordinator
El Diablo | Co-author, Template Creator, Ideas & Research, Tester
Berghoff | Creator of African Foliage for Duala (included with his permission)
PeterGrozni | Support & Ideas
W0lle | Intro Animator, Tester
Max Power | Fixing the A1 buildings to be compatible with A2 characters
BIS | For A1, A2 Objects/models
McHide | AI Buildings for Alice/Silvie Module, Code Tweaks
MikeBart | Rocks & Hemp plant objects (included with his permission)
Bad Benson | Ground Texture Bumpmaps
wld427 of Project RACS | Coding & Tweaks, Support, Mig-21, Su-24, Leopard 1A5 units
Sahbazz | Molatian Army Infantry & cammo
Swedish Forces Pack & GranQ | Saab AJ37 Viggen
[GLT]Myke | Viggen Weaponry & Realism Tweaks, MissileBox for Viggen
RKSL-Rock | Coding Support, Su-24 Fencer Project Contributor, Gazelle TOW launcher
Vilas | original model Leopard 1A5 tank
LoBo/GIR Team | Pinzgauer 710M 4x4 model & textures
Trouble | Gazelle chopper
CheyenneAh56 & Nemith Brothers | As-350 Squirrel chopper
NZDF_Crash | Support, Configs & Model Tweaks, Steyr Aug rifle
IceWindo | Sahrani A1 Civilians Conversion
PeterGrozni, Kju, Dimitri_Harkov, Sgt. Ace | Config Tweaks, Support, Ideas
Randy S. | Coding & Tweaks, Help with Steyr
Twinke Masta | Steyr Aug Assault Rifle model
EddyD, footmunch | original Su-24MK Fencer OFP model
FDFMod | OFP model for wld427's MiG-21 A2 project
Southy, Gnat | contributions to the Su-24 Fencer project and helping wld427
CSLA | original Mig-21MF Fighter/Bomber texture base
Ryogugu | T-55 Model
Eggbeast | Soldier Unit Classes
zGuba & Panda | Tweaks & Coding, A1-A2 upgrades
Aeneas2020 | Soldier Unit graphics & templates
McHide | Textures, Configs & Tweaks, Support
Ryan_D, Colonel26 | Aliens A1 Mod conversion for Zetaborn Faction
Hitcher | Spaceships & Tanks Creations used for Zetaborn faction
DataKill | Photoshop files for Leopard tank
Bohemia Interactive Studio | Models, Included Content
Mondkalb | Generic African Buildings
Beta Testing Team & Special Thanks
To all beta testers, without you this project just wouldn't be the same. Thank you:
All guys from [SBP]Slovenian Black Panthers Team, Bushlurker, Sickboy, W0lle, JW Custom, Kju, MattXR, Binkowski, Dimitri_Harkov, JamesF1, Darkhorse, INNOCENTandCLUELESS, Robalo, Lonestar, Rafalsky, Nazul, Max255, SafetyCatch, AnimalMother92, Galzohar, Enad and others. And of course to Bohemia Interactive Studio crew for making ArmA 2 and their continuous support and dedication! And Eva, my very special girlfriend, for letting me share time with "Mistress" Arma :]
- Town Bolabongo (Capital of Molatia) upgraded, new Dendala District
- added final brg_africa v1.24 (V2 signature and antiaris tree texture fix)
- fixed grid offset for artillery (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/20445)
- smoothed out road near Numbo and Ursana
- new clearing E of Mawimbela near river pass
- new factory and a farm near Kirabo
- further improvements to satmap
- upgraded the Pumado Armybase
- Canto armybase slight update
- aircraft now taxi correctly at Kinsella Intl. runway
- upgraded landing system lights at Kinsella Intl. & Aeroporto Molatia Intl. runways on W and E sides
- activated oil pumps (Arrowhead official addon required)
- presidental palace added to Bolabongo outskirts (Arrowhead required now)
- added three Molatian forts, used for defense of Bolabongo
- added new warehouses for Molatian army
- massive redesign of beaches
- added more detail and cover spots suck as rock formations (tnx Arthur for idea, MikeBart for objects)
- several smaller bugfixes
- vehicle classes for Viggens and AS-350 Squirrels now use standard Air class
- unarmed AS350 Squirrel versions dont have a graphics glitch anymore
- 7x FFAR Launcher on AS350 has a proper display name
- replaced Leopard 1A5 crew from Rifleman to Crewman
- Leopard sound distance fixed, new realistic engine sounds
- removed zetaborn faction (you will need a standalone addon, sorry)
- tweaked Mig-21 handling / control sensitivity
- replaced Mig-21 sounds with improved real recordings
- Mig-21's UB32Launcher now has correct 57mm rockets, half-load in each launcher (due to configuration with 2xFAB-250)
- removed old texture flags from Pinzgauers
- crew of T-55 changed to correct one
- new gunfire sound of Afrenian Steyr AUG
- new Molatian soldier: Trashtalker (AKM), he likes to trash talk to human players (<150m distance)
- removed dependency to CBA & MissileBox and added Myke's standalone ibr_missilebox for Viggen
- incorporated new African Foliage 1.24t2 by Berghoff (AI now doesn't have any advantage over human players)
- added two loading screens (intro, mission loader)
- added more border fence openings (for AI behaviour)
- fixed GPS grid accuracy
- added two small concrete parking spots for planes on scramble alert
- added new buildings to ibr_dtowns.pbo
- built a new town Numbo in central Afrene border region with several outposts and Army HQ
- added transport chopper: SA.342MT Gazelle (Molatian Airforce)
- added gunship choppers: Gazelle (CAS) 12,7mm+2xTOW and AS-350 Squirrel (CAS) 20mm+7xHydra
- fixed SU24 left engine glitch when starting mission in flying mode (tnx Wld427)
- fixed T-55 turn-out anims and made a new Molatian camo for it
- added Molatian Crewman, Molatian Commando and new Afrenian Rifleman (M16A2)
- fixed Molatian camo (more blending into Dualan desert, tnx Sahbazz)
- added more crossings over river, improved shores
- upgraded Molatian prison camp in central region
- added 4 soccer fields to biggest towns
- built a new school in Engor
- added bridges and new roadwork from mainland to NW and SW islands
- improved coastline
- improved zetaborn faction: new sounds, added spaceships & tanks
- Afrenian Viggens are stand-alone now (Tnx Myke!)
- Afrenian Viggens are compatible with vanilla Arma 2 now
- Zetaborn faction is compatible with vanilla Arma 2 now
- fixed Viggen gunpod, added new orange tracer ammo
- added armed Datsun jeeps to both sides in skins: army, black and police (only AFR side)
- fixed horizont on Squirrel chopper (tnx RKSL-Rock)
- fixed the missing Pinzgauer sound
- fixed the missing chopper voice name in radio protocol
- new V2 signatures for increased server security
- improved savannah ground texture (bump-map)
- added Molatian Army's Group: Infantry-SpecOps
- fixed soldier classes in Groups to default rifleman
- added a mod logo
- BI forums
- ArmAholic forums
Tags: No tags