Date: 2014-03-05 20:27
Welcome to Elephant Island! A sunny place somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, or the Carribean, or wherever you want it to be.
Only sparsely populated, it features two military camps and an airfield as well as several radio installations which makes it an interesting strategic object for several countries nearby.
I started this project about two years ago after I got my hands on the VBS2 Developer Tools. Unfortunately I suck at graphics, so I was never able to create the required textures for it.
In the first version it had an ugly all green Grass Texture all over the place. But hey, I had my first terrain working!
A collaboration with David 'Seventh' Lagettie who had the same Idea back then unfortunately never became reality so at some point I forgot about the whole thing and it went to depths of my drives and collected dust.
A while back I found it again and replaced the VBS2 objects with A2 and converted A1 ones. But still the satmask was missing so I went to the Editing forums and made a list of 'possible targets'. I found it in Bushlurker, and I asked him to make me 'a quick and dirty' Satmask for my island.
Of course he did way more than just a quick texture job. He added a working airfield, changed the cell size, levelled the terrain. He also made the island selection picture, the logo and what not. Without his dedicated work the little Island would never be what it is now!
And Bushlurker wouldn't be Bushlurker if he wouldn't find something to improve. So, since the first release, he improved the terrain texture even more, making it the beautiful thing it is now.
As we always recommend use modfolders to separate the custom content from the official game content to prevent problems.
For different ways to set up your modfolders and use them please visit our FAQ.
When you are using the Steam version you can find a Steam mod installation and activation FAQ here.
Included .pbo files:
I forgot to add the unit/vehicle class names to the package, you can find it here for now: http://pastebin.com/QWEDRF97
Video by Wastelander:
* AI does not cross the rope bridge
* ALICE module does not spawn civilians
* The poles have no powerlines as in the original
Credits & thanks:
Just a 'thank you' is not enough, so... a big thank you!!! to Bushlurker for all the time he spent on this little project, doing work I never could have done and answering my stupid questions.
The result is better than anything I ever expected!
Thanks also to:
Peter 'Pete' Morrison for his kind permission to convert the terrain and some objects to ARMA 2. Cheers mate!
David 'Seventh' Lagettie for the original work and some insight view on the original development.
Berghoff for his Elephant grass.
Binkowski for the unit models/textures.
Gromov for improving the textures on some of the old models.
Icebreakr for his nice Lingor Environment sounds.
Icewindo for the civilian units.
Max Power for fixing some of the screwed models.
M1lkm8n for the now enterable storage hut and adding animated doors and breakable glass to all of the buildings.
Meatball0311 for fixing some unit problem and creating the Commander unit.
vilas for the OPFOR Commander texture.
Mikero for his excellent tool suite. Modding would be much harder without your work.
zipper5 for his nice Intro/credits scene.
Armaholic.com for fast and reliable hosting.
- updated vehicle addon
- ADDED : BMP-1
- ADDED : Enterable storage hut, thanks to Milkman!
- ADDED : Landrover with DShKM and Unarmed
- ADDED : Watchtower object, basically a watertower with sandbag walls
- CHNGD : Aircraft and Helicopters have custom roundel
- CHNGD : Army huts and Farmhouse have animated doors and breakable glass, thanks to Milkman!
- CHNGD : Civilians can carry backpacks
- CHNGD : Several texture replacement on objects
- CHNGD : Vehicles have Takistani camo without markings
- FIXED : Several small problems with UV maps and configs
- fixed: Barn at Theo's place had weird Shadow artifacts
- fixed: Updating base class... (hopefully)
- changed: Added several small objects at bases and places
- changed: Replaced rocks with OA ones
- Some more units added, Editor groups added, Streetlamps replaced with OA ones
- New terrain textures, OPFOR units and vehicles (never released)
- Streetlights now fall over when destroyed
- Removed plants and trees from buildings
- Glowing part from the powerline poles removed
- Minor fixes I can't remember
- Fixed the ArmA2 crash upon exit when terrain was loaded.
- BI forums
- Arma 2