TMR Modular Realism
TMR is a modular, open-source modification for Arma 3 aimed at increasing realism and complexity without sacrificing engaging gameplay and accessibility. Currently it includes only a small number of features, but more are being developed. TMR is meant to be used in all environments: single player, multiplayer co-op, team vs. team, even open-world scenarios.
You can find more information on the TMR homepage.
TMR is based on a couple of key principles.
1. Only make changes and additions which alter gameplay in an important way which adds to the player experience.
2. No frustrating or tedious mechanics.
3. Each module should stand alone (except for core and unifying modules). The core module must make no user-visible changes. Unifying modules must be optional.
4. Everything must be polished. Everything includes a tutorial mission or documentation for the user.
5. Fits all playstyles: multi, single, against AI, against players.
Which version should I use?
Download TMR Modular Realism if you are playing singleplayer or multiplayer on servers which are also running TMR Modular Realism.
if you are using TMR in multiplayer on servers not running TMR, or if you would like to avoid certain issues in singleplayer missions made without TMR in mind (e.g., the official campaign).
Use only one at a time!
Server administrators not running TMR should use the TMR-CSO key to only permit connections from players using the CSO version.
TMR now recommends ASDG Joint Rails
for use with the autorest module. Without it, you will not be able to attach the bipod accessory (“tmr_acc_bipod”).
If you would like visible, animated bipods, use TMR with ASDG Attachments
Some modules were renamed in 0.4. Be sure to delete the old version of TMR if updating from <0.4.
- New 2D Scopes:
4x RCO-type sights now have animated 2D scope overlays with real, detailed reticles. These reticles are calibrated mil-for-mil and have correct BDCs for their marked caliber.
- Enhanced Ballistics:
6.5x39mm and 5.56x45mm now have more accurate ballistics and muzzle velocity.
- Light Anti-tank Weapons (PCML, RPG-42):- Predicted line-of-sight guidance system for the PCML
Complete redesign of the PCML and RPG-42 based on their real counterparts, the NLAW and the RPG-32.
- Overhead top attack flight profile for the PCML, with EFP simulation
- Multi-Purpose Variant (MPV) blast-frag warhead for the PCML, based on the SRAW MPV
- Corrected ballistic drop and flight parameters for both launchers
- New warheads (smoke, thermobaric) for the RPG-42
- New calibrated reticles for both launchers
- Complete AI support for both weapons
Adds support for disposable or one-shot weapons, such as the PCML AT and MPV variants.Blast Fragmentation:
Support scripts to allow a more detailed simulation of fragmentation from frag weapons and grenades. Currently only supports the PCML MPV!Weapon Resting & Bipods:
Weapons will rest against objects automatically, reducing muzzle climb. You can press Tab (Lock Targets) to deploy the bipod on weapons which have one mounted.New Recoil and Aim Sway Profiles:
All-new recoil and aim sway profiles to improve the feel of weapons and shooting. Binoculars no longer sway wildly.Realistic Suppressors:
Suppressors do not reduce damage or muzzle velocity. Suppressors have specific threadings and cannot screw on to weapons just because they share a caliber (optional). Suppressors very slightly increase the cyclic rate of weapons due to increased back-pressure.Changes to Default Weapon Characteristics:
The Vermin now has 2-round burst. The MX SW has a single shot mode. All MXs can load the 100 round coffin magazines. Many, many more.
Extract into the ArmA 3 Directory, by default this is located in:
32-Bit - C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/ArmA 3/
64-Bit - C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/ArmA 3/
After extraction it should look like this:
You can also use the "Arma 3 Alpha" folder in your "My Documents" folder. Your folder setup could than look like for example this:
When present place the "userconfig" folder into your game install folder, usually:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3".
You may already have "userconfig" folder from other addons/mods in which case it is safe to merge the contents from this archive.
You'll also need to add a Launch Parameter to Steam, in order to do so right-click on ArmA 3 Alpha and click Properties and then Set Launch Options. In the window that opens enter in -mod=@your_mod_folder_name
For using multiple mods you would then do so like this:
You can also use -nosplash to get rid of the splash art and intro videos.
And of course you can also enable and disable community made addons and mods through the in-game Options Expansions menu if you do not want to mess with startup parameters!
When the above information still does not provide you with enough to learn how to install custom addons and mods you can always ask in our Guide On Installing Mods
For singleplayer purposes, you can remove any modules beginning with ‘tmr_’ from the @TMR\Addons folder. However, if you do this, you may not be able to use the ‘tmr_u_’ modules — these so-called ‘unifying’ modules rely on content from multiple modules in order to fill weapon boxes, set unit loadouts, and so on. You will receieve a useful error when launching Arma 3 if this is the case.
If you’re playing online, do not remove modules unless instructed to do so by your server administrator.
Armaholic.com has its own Youtube channel where we will try to cover the Community made releases. Make sure to visit our channel and subscribe!
Armaholic.com on Youtube
- Some strings are not yet updated, such as black MXs. This is pending a stringtable rewrite.
v0.5 alpha 2 notes:
An ambitious AI overhaul based on tweaking engine values rather than using performance-hungry and often unreliable scripting techniques. Includes the usual adjustments to AI skills and accuracy, carefully tuned to create a dangerous and fast-reacting foe in CQB which does not turn into an aimbot at longer ranges. The most exciting feature is a complete rewrite of the AI weapon engagement patterns for most small arms (more to come). The AI will now fire bursts with their LMGs of varying lengths depending on the engagement range, slow their firing rate at longer ranges, and more. AI employment of fragmentation grenades and underbarrel grenade launchers is both more aggressive and less 'laser guided.' The AI will occasionally deploy smoke (again, no scripts). They will also engage at greater ranges more aggressively but less accurately.
Complete fragmentation simulation system for explosives. Most are implemented. Frag velocity calculated using real data and the Gurney equations where available. Uses an intelligent fragment generation system which only directs fragments where they will hit something (object, person, vehicle) in order to allow for considerable fragmentation effects without creating network desync or latency (even w/ 40mm AGL systems). Dramatically increases the lethality of hand and UGL grenades. Predictive fragmentation system inspired by the video released by Nou showcasing his (more sophisticated) system.
Reworks all uniform and body armor values to provide a consistent gameplay experience. All uniforms now provide exactly the same degree of protection -- very little, seeing that fabric does not stop bullets. All tactical vests and chestrigs with armor plates modeled provide additional armor to the torso only. In order to maintain game balance and realism, the CSAT LBV Harnesses also provide plate equivalent armor (imagine that the plates are included with the LBV and insert directly into the advanced CSAT uniform). All armored helmets now provide equivalent protection. Note that this system still uses the BI hitpoints system, so don't expect miracles. Three chest shots with a 6.5mm rifle will reliably drop a man wearing plate-equivalent armor. Two pistol shots to the head will kill a man with a kevlar helmet, but plate armor considerably reduces pistol damage to the chest. Rifle headshots and shots against unarmored chests reliably kill in a single hit with 6.5mm. The overarching goal of this modification was to restore the time-to-kill/shots-to-kill feel of Arma 2, and to remove the inconsistent, unpredictable, and unfun armoring intentionally implemented by BI. (Grenadier vests provide double (!!) the armor by default. Why?)
Implements several new features relating to taking damage. Increases the intensity of the red flash when shot. Causes character to vocalize when hit (don't worry, it's subtle and uses existing game sounds). Damaging grenade and explosive blasts will cause temporary ear ringing. Characters who sustain considerable damage from a gunshot or explosion have a chance to fall down, either into a tactical prone position (if standing) or onto their butt (if crouching), to reflect the result of sudden shock, blood pressure loss, and fear (not 'knockdown power'). Inspired by the implementation in tpwmod.
Currently increases the volume and duration of a smoke grenades. Should have no noticeable performance effect.
Attempts to reduce/eliminate the character 'knockback' jerk animation thing when shot. May or may not have any effect at all.
Slightly slows the reload speeds of some weapons to better match their associated sounds (implementation is incomplete). Reduces the reload speed of the underbarrel grenade launcher to prevent excessively rapid fire. Reduces the reload speed of launchers to prevent excessively (!!) rapid fire, especially of Titan missiles against aircraft by AI. Reloading a launcher is a bit of a time commitment, so be careful...
Increases blast and damage radius of all grenades, including 40mm underbarrel grenades, which are quite weak by default. Maintains realistic kill and casualty radius.
- TMR now comes in two flavors: TMR and TMR-CSO (Client Side Only). Use only one at a time. Server administrators not running TMR should use the TMR-CSO key to only permit connections from players using the CSO version.
- TMR now recommends ASDG Joint Rails for use with the autorest module. Without it, you will not be able to attach the bipod accessory (“tmr_acc_bipod”).
- Some modules were renamed. Be sure to delete the old version of TMR.
If you don’t like the new 2D reticles, simply remove tmr_optics.pbo. But I think you’ll come to like them a lot!
Credits & Thanks:
A special thanks to cambam47 who implemented several of these fixes in the TMR Alternate branch!
Copyright (c) 2012-2014, Ryan Schultz
All rights reserved.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.
ADDITIONALLY, I explicitly grant the right for this software to compiled and freely distributed as a ArmA PBO together with a file which reproduces the contents of this file.
TMR modules marked as '_nonfree' are NOT COVERED BY THIS LICENSE. The only non-free content that will be included in TMR is original Arma 3 content produced by Bohemia Interactive that has been modified in some way.
To use any samples or tools provided by Bohemia Interactive to mod Arma 3, you must agree to the following conditions of use:
1. Bohemia Interactive grants to you a personal, non-exclusive license to open and modify the samples and use the tools for the purpose of designing, developing, testing, and producing non-commercial game content for PC game Arma 3.
2. You acknowledge and agree that Bohemia Interactive is providing you the samples and tools free of charge in order to allow you creation of non-commercial game content for Arma 3 only and you agree to not commercially exploit any game content you may create using the samples or tools without Bohemia Interactive prior written permission.
3. Bohemia Interactive doesn't give you permission to exploit the samples and models in any other way, especially not to convert them for use in any other game or engine than Arma 3.
v0.5 alpha 3
- Requires CBA 22.214.171.12423 RC3.
- Changed: ai - Machine gun bursts are shorter to better reflect a 6-9 round length. More adjustments are needed.
- Fixed: ai - TAR-21 now has correct firing modes.
- Fixed: hiteffects - Hilarious falldown slide when hit in a vehicle or turret removed.
- Added: hiteffects - Will disable the TMR falldown when tpwfall is loaded and enabled.
v0.5 alpha 2
- Added 8 new modules (see notes)
- Added: Field Manual entries for many mods.
- Added: autorest - Configurable keybinds using latest CBA Keybinding module.
- Removed: aimsway -- learn to love the Bootcamp sway.
- Changed: smallarms_recoil -- across the board increase to recoil. Resting more important than ever.
- Fixed: nlaw -- Use correct keyname.
- Fixed: One line fix to script reloading after save/load rather than after abort/continue. (You, too, may wonder why these two actions have different behaviors in the engine with regards to which in-memory scripts are terminated.)
- Added: cso – Second flavor of TMR which includes only client-side modules.
- Added: core_savemonitor - Very performant monitoring for multiple spawned scripts that must be restarted after game load. Adds only one extra scheduled thread (which only sleeps) for any number of handles to be monitored. Leverages the persistance of CBA key handlers.
- Fixed: autorest - Key handlers now work after load game in singleplayer.
- Fixed: optics - Now displays properly after load.
- Fixed: optics - Scope is now hidden in map view.
- Fixed: nlaw - Key handlers now work after load game in singleplayer.
- Changed: make.py - New parameter 'target' to allow multiple module buildsets with distinct key signing with just one command.
- Added: autorest - Objects can be excluded from hardrest (currently only flowers).
- Fixed: autorest - Directionality of refpoints is now correct.
- Fixed: recoil - Camshake/dispersion EH properly called.
- Changed: autorest - Even more forgiving rest area. If your right elbow is on a wall to your right side, you should be able to rest. (Intentionally not so for your left elbow.)
- Fixed: autorest - No longer requires any 'vehicles' to be created, and is slightly faster.
- Fixed: smallarms - Mk200 will fire now.
- Fixed: smallarms - ASDG Joint Rails inheritance mistake. Might fix CTD under certain conditions.
- Changed: autorest - Slightly more forgiving resting area.
- General updates to provide fixed compatibility with Arma 3 + Campaign DLC.
- New: launchers – Increase launcher reload time to restrict rocket and AA spam, especially by AI.
- New: autorest – Uses ASDG Joint Rails interface for bipod accessory.
- Added: autorest – Support ASDG Attachments bipods, including animated state changes with them.
- Added: ballistics – .357 Magnum for Rhino 60DS.
- Added: smallarms – Support all Campaign DLC weapons.
- Changed: rpg42 – Use a clean version of the BI reticle (no dust).
- Fixed: optics – REALLY works with triple head now.
- Fixed: autorest – Fixed leaking objects and “nonnetwork object” rpt spam.
- Fixed: Many inheritance bugs that caused rpt warnings.
- Fixed: smallarms – Recoil for suppressed weapons.
- Fixed: rpg42 – revert to BI flight values for now.
- Fixed: optics – Re-draw after another script rudely erases them.
- Fixed: tmr_optics - now works with custom FOV and triple-head configs. Much faster. Much easier to add more scopes and reticles.
- Added: tmr_optics - SOS reticle and magnification now corresponds to NightForce NXS 5.5-22x MLR, the scope of choice for M200 Intervention ("M320 LRR")
- Changed: tmr_smallarms_recoil - All new recoil configs based on natural point of aim concept. Critics are raving: "about as good as it gets w/o actually firing a rifle!"
- Added: tmr_smallarms_recoil - Increasing dispersion for extremely long bursts from unsupported positions. Greater dispersion when firing bursts without using sights (firing from the hip).
- Changed: tmr_jsrs - No longer required due to inheritance pattern rewrite for Mk200.
- Added: tmr_ballistics - Correct external ballistics for all small arms, including pistol rounds and 7.62x51mm.
- Changed: tmr_aimsway - Sway when standing unsupported increased from BI baseline very slightly.
- Fixed: tmr_autorest - Bipod should no longer briefly deploy on air.
- Changed: tmr_smallarms - Finished renaming all small arms. Using real names with modifications. For example, the P09 has been renamed P99G, to signify that it is a fictional P99 which can use 'G'lock magazines, which it shares with the MP-443G ("Rook-40"). Some fully fictionalized weapons retain their BI names, such as the hybrid LSAT/KAC LMG "Mk200" and "Katiba."
- Fixed: tmr_rpg42- Can now load BI HE rounds.
- Added: Project - Python-based make.py system.
- Added: tmr_autorest - Hard rest no longer causes animation glitches.
- Fixed: tmr_autorest - Hard rest works with bipod.
- Changed: Sway and recoil increased slightly in unrested stances.
- Fixed: tmr_optics – Optics no longer display when using a launcher or pistol.
- Fixed: Resolve some rpt errors.
- Added: tmr_autorest – You can now ‘hard rest’ weapons by pressing the bipod key (Next Target) when the rested icon is displayed
- Added: tmr_optics – New animated, calibrated, illuminated 2D reticles for HAMR (RCO), ARCO, and MRCO. Based closely on real reticles for these optics. Does not work with custom FOV above 75 degrees due to engine bug!
- Added: tmr_ballistics – Accurate ballistics and dispersion. Currently implemented for 6.5x39mm (120gr OTM) and 5.56x45mm (M855).
- Added: tmr_autorest – New item “TMR_acc_bipod” can be equipped on any rifle to allow bipod use. No visible graphics due to engine limitations. Find it in the Support Box for your side.
- Added: tmr_smallarms_suppressors_unique: Suppressors are now unique to certain guns (i.e., Katiba cannot mount MX suppressor.) Disable this if you are missing a suppressor in missions.
- Changed: tmr_autorest – Sway and recoil while deployed reduced slightly from 0.2.
- Changed: tmr_autorest – Icon slightly more visible.
- Changed: tmr_aimsway – Binoculars are no longer wildly uncontrollable.
- Changed: Some more weapon and ammo renames.
- Fixed: RPG-42 now uses BI's reticle and flight paramters. This is pending a revision by me.
- Fixed: Weapon autorest now very slightly more network efficient.
- Added: Weapon resting tutorial.
This is a maintenance release to support the newest beta stable branch. More features are coming soon!
- Fixed: Correct v2 signatures for all files.
- Fixed: Resting and bipods will work after you respawn. No message when you switch units.
- Fixed: Dependency to CBA properly added.
- Fixed: New sounds for bipod deployment recorded from my Harris S-BRM bipod on a rifle. Remove tmr_nlaw stealth dependency.
- Fixed: Mk200 now has recoil in single-fire mode.
Have fun! New signatures verified with DSCheckSignatures. Make sure to update your public key in Arma 3\Keys.
- fix grenade launchers
- Added: New recoils for all weapons.
- Added: Weapon resting and bipod system. Press Tab (Lock Targets key) when the weapon is positioned appropriately to deploy your bipod. Resting happens automatically.
- Fixed: PCML guidance now uses superior flight path including all-range intercept curve. Thanks da12thmonkey!
- Changed from A3: Suppressors no longer reduce damage or muzzle velocity. Suppressors very slightly increase cyclic rate. Katiba and MX do not share suppressor threads. Pistols and SMGs do not share suppressor threads.
- Changed from A3: Weapon and magazine names altered slightly. This isn't final!! See release notes.
- Changed from A3: Added single fire mode to MX SW.
- Changed from A3: Added single fire mode to Mk200. Zafir and Mk200 now default to full-auto.
- Changed from A3: Suppressed Scorpion now has all of its fire modes.
- Changed from A3: Vermin (TDI Vector) now properly bursts with 2 rounds, rather than 3.
- Changed from A3: LMG and MG boxes now have one tracer per five rounds. Tracer mags are unchanged.
- Changed from A3: Final 3 rounds of a rifle magazine are no longer tracer.
- Changed from A3: MX rifles now use 6.5x38mm ammunition, as it says on their bolt. This also justifies why the MX can't feed Katiba ammo. (Text change only.)
- Changed from A3: All pistols and SMGs chambered in the legal-workaround cartridge 9x21mm IMI have been rechambered into 9x19 Parabellum, because there is absolutely no reason they would not be. (Text change only.)
- Fixed: Tutorial missions will not load.
- Added: Keys and signatures.
- BI forums
- Community Base addons A3
- ASDG Joint Rails