Windwalking, Ollem, TPW
By default, AI in Arma has two ways of reacting to audible gunfire. First is if its close to the AI enough to see the bullet or pinpoint your location. Second, is to completely and utterly ignore it. This behavior results in you waging war on one side of a village, to find a safe patrol loitering around as if they didnt hear the firefight at all. Also, because sometimes the AI wouldnt recognize you shooting at them as a threat right away, they can continue ignoring the very audible gunshots for a few seconds till someone see the bullet or die from it. Also the AI seems to not react to ambushes at all, resulting in the famous turn and laser shoot you to death even though you clearly had the jump on them. AI also seems to not react to threatening attacks like mortar strikes near by or grenades.
What WW_AICover does, is simply force AI into aware mode if there is an audible gunfire near them. If the fire is close enough, they will immediately seek cover and then assess the situation. It also factors in threatening attacks like mortars, to suppress the AI. Incase of a threatening attack, the AI will try to withdraw away from the source, possible exposing them, This makes flushing out tactics possible with this mod. The mod also utilizes functions from TPW_EBS if present, to invoke suppression effects on AI based on the situation in a broader manner than possible with TPW_EBS alone. Also the AI will react to flying helicopters near them by taking cover immediately. Hopefully this makes the AI more life like and hopefully improves the quality of missions by making stealth approach more rewarding, and firefights more tense.
I strongly recommend you download and install the awesome mod by TPW called TPW_Mods. Me and TPW are working on interoperability and this mod has enhanced features only if TPW_Mods is available: TPW Engine Based Suppression
Alert AI to gunfire
Enhanced AI take cover routine (modified from TPWCAS take cover by Ollem)
Works for handgrenades
Factors silenced weapons and different weapon types to determine audible range
Friendly AI in group will react to unexpected fire by breaking formation and going to cover
AI make surprised sounds when under unexpected fire
AI react to most explosions correctly, even from vehicles
AI react to vehicle engine sounds and flying by helicopters
Utilizes suppression effects from TPW_EBS if present
Allows interesting tactics like flushing out AI out of cover by using mortars, grenades, and rockets
Handles ambushes on unexpected AI by making them retreat to cover, or apply suppression effects if TPW_EBS is present
AI seeks cover when detecting enemies even if no shots are fired
Extract into the ArmA 3 Directory, by default this is located in:
32-Bit - C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/ArmA 3/
64-Bit - C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/ArmA 3/
After extraction it should look like this:
You can also use the "Arma 3 Alpha" folder in your "My Documents" folder. Your folder setup could than look like for example this:
When present place the "userconfig" folder into your game install folder, usually:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3".
You may already have "userconfig" folder from other addons/mods in which case it is safe to merge the contents from this archive.
Configuration: at the moment there is only WW_DEBUG = 1; in the WW_AICOVER.hpp. This can be changed to 0 for no debugging
You'll also need to add a Launch Parameter to Steam, in order to do so right-click on ArmA 3 Alpha and click Properties and then Set Launch Options. In the window that opens enter in -mod=@your_mod_folder_name
For using multiple mods you would then do so like this:
You can also use -nosplash to get rid of the splash art and intro videos.
And of course you can also enable and disable community made addons and mods through the in-game Options Expansions menu if you do not want to mess with startup parameters!
When the above information still does not provide you with enough to learn how to install custom addons and mods you can always ask in our Guide On Installing Mods
Further improving take cover function
Credits & Thanks:
I am really thankful to TPW for taking the time to help me get my head around Arma's modding world. He is a very friendly person I am thankful for his help and code. I am really grateful to Ollem for allowing me to use and build on his amazing take cover routine from TPWCAS.
Authors:Windwalking, Ollem, TPW
- Units are completely silent while taking cover
- fixed leader swapping again (hopefully)
- Units wont attempt to take cover if too far from the leader. They will attempt to catch up first.
- Units will not try to take cover if the leader already assigned a task for them
- Turned off take cover routines from player joined groups for now. You can still turn it on from the config (Recopy config file for this)
- fixed the bug with leadership swapped in the group
- Made AI squad members much less spammy when they cover routine is active on them
- AI takes cover and return from it more effeciently now.
- AI now run to cover when detecting enemy
- Config parameter added
- Fixed an issue where stealthed friendly team mates go automatically to aware when there is fire nearby
- Added an option in the config file to prevent the take cover routine from activating on your squad memebers if the leader is a player
- Fixed Vehicles bug regarding explosives
- AI react to sound based on distance. Sound reaches them when it should reach them.
- If one squad memeber is under unexpected fire, the rest of the group are alerted and seek cover
- Much better handling of TPW_EBS suppressions if available (seriously do get it though)
- Better handling of charges, mines and satchels
- Fixed an issue with AI not shooting each other (For results on who won the staring contest, please contact me)
- Code cleanup
- Enhanced take cover function even further
- AI now retreat to cover even if already aware of attacks if the attack is of high threat, like grenades
- Added suppression effects if TPW_EBS is present. Enable TPW_EBS debug to see how it works
- AI react to vehicles nearby if engine is on
- various bugfixes and code optimizations
- Fixed a bug concerning firing cannons or MG from vehicles
- Made taking cover much more effecient
- Friendly AI units now return to formation after taking cover IF you didnt give them the WAIT command
- HOT FIX to a major config related issue
- Added support to placed charges, satchels and mines
- Code optimizations
- HotFix to make it more compaitable with TPWCAS
- Fixed error message when no sufficient cover nearby
- Added audible effects to most vehicles and rockets
- Added audible effect to Grenade Launchers
- AI will now watch the direction the sound came from
- AI now make yelling sounds when running to cover (Thanks TPW)
- Greately improved taking cover based on the direction of the threat
- AI will take cover based on where explosions happened rather than the shooter
- AI now look at noise source before reacting to it
- AI reaction to noise is randomized
- friendly AI in Group react to unexpected fire by going to cover (You have to call regroup to get them back)
- Added support to Launcher explosions
- BI forums
- Community Base addons A3