Armor Improvement System (AIS)
AIS, short for armor improvement system, is an attempt to improve armored combat in ARMA 3. The end goal is to make tank and armored vehicle combat a more enjoyable experience by adding more depth and realism.
An active protection system (APS) for armored vehicles, specifically for the M2A1 Slammer or known in the real world as the Merkava Mk4. In short the main features for the APS module are:
- Provides limited protection vs missiles and rockets.
- Does not stop kinetic penetrators, like APFSDS.
- Each APS module is limited to 4 uses.
- Each APS module has a short reload time.
- Relatively safe for infantry right next to the vehicle.
- The M2A1 has two independent APS modules on each side of the turret.
- Modified AI behavior, the AI will search for the source of launch.
- Can be enabled via config to work with all armored vehicles.
Extract into the ArmA 3 Directory, by default this is located in:
32-Bit - C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/ArmA 3/
64-Bit - C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/ArmA 3/
After extraction it should look like this:
You can also use the "Arma 3 Alpha" folder in your "My Documents" folder. Your folder setup could than look like for example this:
When present place the "userconfig" folder into your game install folder, usually:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3".
You may already have "userconfig" folder from other addons/mods in which case it is safe to merge the contents from this archive.
You'll also need to add a Launch Parameter to Steam, in order to do so right-click on ArmA 3 Alpha and click Properties and then Set Launch Options. In the window that opens enter in -mod=@your_mod_folder_name
For using multiple mods you would then do so like this:
You can also use -nosplash to get rid of the splash art and intro videos.
And of course you can also enable and disable community made addons and mods through the in-game Options Expansions menu if you do not want to mess with startup parameters!
When the above information still does not provide you with enough to learn how to install custom addons and mods you can always ask in our Guide On Installing Mods
Copy the userconfig folder to your main arma directory. To enable APS for all vehicles edit the userconfig file.
You can edit the parameters of the mod by editing the values in the userconfig found at:
I rewrote large chunks of the code so new errors may popup, please let me know what you find and how you were using this mod.
Thanks to the ideas of Taosenai, unit damage now affects the performance of the APS module and every use gradually decreases the performance of each individual APS module. I've done some initial tweaking but I probably still need to tweak them a lot to work perfectly.
You'll also find some new options in the userconfig.
No known issues. AIS has been tested and works well with TMR Modular Realism.
Works in singleplayer and multiplayer.
Many more features will be added with time, including electronic warfare packages, add-on armor, and vehicle abilities.
Credis & Thanks:
Special thanks to LordHeart and super-truite for helping me get this mod out.
- Change userconfig variable values and names
- Fixed right ammo being saved for left ammo
- Fixed not running for JIP players
- Fixed not running for post-init created units
- Fixed userconfig conflicts in MP
- Added damage degrades performance of APS module
- Added using APS gradually degrades performance
- Added more userconfig options for defenders
- Added flag for multiple running instances of AIS-APS
- Extended innitial block distance by average of 4 meters
- Fixed general errors in file description
- General improvements
- New improved FOV caculations when scanning
- Fixed general script errors on vehicle loop
- New height check when blocking
- Added bikey in keys folder
- Release version
- BI forums
- Community Base addons A3