Galz Wind Ballistics
This simple mod adds wind ballistic simulation to the game. Every bullet fired by any unit as well as any vehicle will get its velocity adjusted every frame based on the current direction of the wind current velocity direction of the bullet.
- Estimated ballistic coefficient for each weapon, which should provide a reasonable effect for all weapon types.
- Works for any projectile fired (including mortars!).
- Uses game wind directly, so visual effects will match the ballistic effects.
- Runs on every frame and simulates based on time passed since last frame, which should result in relatively consistent results regardless of mission performance.
- Uses CBA for automatic initialization in any mission and compatibility with other mods.
Extract into the ArmA 3 Directory, by default this is located in:
32-Bit - C:\Program Files\Steam/Steamapps\Common\ArmA 3\
64-Bit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam/Steamapps\Common\ArmA 3\
After extraction it should look like this:
You can also use the "Arma 3 Alpha" folder in your "My Documents" folder. Your folder setup could than look like for example this:
When present place the "userconfig" folder into your game install folder, usually:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3".
You may already have "userconfig" folder from other addons and/or mods in which case it is safe to merge the contents from this archive.
You'll also need to add a Launch Parameter to Steam, in order to do so right-click on ArmA 3 Alpha and click Properties and then Set Launch Options. In the window that opens enter in -mod=@your_mod_folder_name
For using multiple mods you would then do so like this:
You can also use -nosplash to get rid of the splash art and intro videos.
And of course you can also enable and disable community made addons and mods through the in-game Options Expansions menu if you do not want to mess with startup parameters!
When the above information still does not provide you with enough to learn how to install custom addons and mods you can always ask in our Guide On Installing Mods
- Wind ballistic coefficients are a pretty rough estimation, though rifle rounds shouldn't be far off of what their real life values should have been (considering they are imaginary, after all). Feel free to suggest different coefficients if you have any RL data combined with in-game testing to base it on. Realize that multiplying a coefficient by X multiplies the offset by X, so if you know that IRL weapon Y has offset Z at range R, you just test for the actual in-game offset under the same conditions and suggest to multiply the coefficient by whatever is needed to get the realistic value. If you have any real life data, help would be appreciated improving the coefficients.
- Script runs for every bullet fired every frame and must finish running before the next frame can start, and was not tested with an extreme number of bullets being fired simultaneously. If you have any performance issues, please report them, and I'll try see if it's worth it to skip wind simulation for some bullet types or for non-local units.
- Grenades cannot be affected by wind due to bug #16371: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16371
- No easy way to force clients to use this mod on a dedicated server, however it is still possible. Best way is to have the mission script to check for isClass(configFile >> "CfgPatches" >> "Galz_WindBallistics"); and remove weapons in a loop or find other creative ways to deal with them. You could also try to place the mod in the requiredAddons in your mission.sqm. Notice that those methods are untested! Please report if you have success with them. Don't forget to add the addon key to the server keys folder and use verifySignatures=2; in your server config file. Players not using the mod will have an advantage if it isn't forced.
- More realistic simulation of wind effects on rockets is still not implemented. If you can provide any real life data it would be much appreciated.
- Wind is not synchronized across clients by default. Use fixed wind settings in the editor, use scripts that make sure wind is synchronized, or deal with the fact each client sees something else.
- OnEachFrame is still not on every actual physics simulation frame (suggest you read more on physics simulation in games), which might make it not perfect in that aspect. But it's still much better than using the script scheduler (aka loop with sleep) and is probably the best that can be done with a mod/script.
- Projectiles added via mods must define the appropriate config value or inherit from a class that has a coefficient that suits the mod's projectile. So if you add a new 5.56 bullet that inherits from the default 5.56 you will get a reasonable coefficient, but if you add a 15mm bullet that inherits from the 12.7mm one the coefficient will not be so good if the mod does not define one itself.
- AI has no clue there is wind. Upon request, I may disable this for AI or add a variable that allows disabling it for AI.
Credits & Thanks:
- Kju, for helping me make the configs and CBA work correctly as well as making some tweaks to the scripts.
- L etranger, for his VTS wind mod which this mod is based on. While almost all code was rewritten, the basic idea remains. Big thanks for allowing me to use his mod as a base and re-distribute it.
- first public release
- BI forums
- Community Base addons A3