There are many aids to land navigation present in real life that are not in Arma. These are often made redundant by difficulty settings (eg. Showing location and direction on the map) but on higher difficulty settings or in specific situations, these real life aids come in handy in game. This mod is an attempt to bring some of these real life options in game.
It is fully functional in SP and has been tested in hosted and dedicated MP without any issues (supports JIP).
The contents of this mod are:
1. Hand Angles – A convenient way to get an approximate angle is using hand angles. While hand angles are not as frequently applied in navigation, they are used extensively in target indications.
2. Pace counting – The main low tech way to keep track of your distance travelled is pace counting. This is handy for both paces and bearing navigation (Fundamental land navigation technique – especially used in thick terrain or terrain without key landmarks)
3. Vehicle odometer and trip meter – Self-explanatory; allows you to track distance travelled in vehicles.
4. Map protractor - Allows you to get accurate 8-10 figure grid references and accurate angle measurements.
Extract into the ArmA 3 Directory, by default this is located in:
32-Bit - C:\Program Files\Steam/Steamapps\Common\ArmA 3\
64-Bit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam/Steamapps\Common\ArmA 3\
After extraction it should look like this:
You can also use the "Arma 3 Alpha" folder in your "My Documents" folder. Your folder setup could than look like for example this:
When present place the "userconfig" folder into your game install folder, usually:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3".
You may already have "userconfig" folder from other addons and/or mods in which case it is safe to merge the contents from this archive.
You'll also need to add a Launch Parameter to Steam, in order to do so right-click on ArmA 3 Alpha and click Properties and then Set Launch Options. In the window that opens enter in -mod=@your_mod_folder_name
For using multiple mods you would then do so like this:
You can also use -nosplash to get rid of the splash art and intro videos.
And of course you can also enable and disable community made addons and mods through the in-game Options Expansions menu if you do not want to mess with startup parameters!
When the above information still does not provide you with enough to learn how to install custom addons and mods you can always ask in our Guide On Installing Mods
For usage instructions and information of how to use the Land Navigation Mod please refer to the included documentation.
1. The hand angles and protractor roamers seem accurate on all displays apart from TFT (The other multi monitor aspect ratios appear fine)
2. The protractor sets how the map handles mouse movement - You wil notice once this is run you wont get the hint near the cursor showing the grid reference and ASL altitude of the terrain. It also means if any other mods are setting that particular event handler it probably wont work (None that I know of at this stage though)
3. The vehicle odometer works for all vehicles present in game but will not work for vehicles spawned post mission start. If this is a sought after feature, a workaround can be implemented.
- FIXED; can be added by placing basic options module. Able to modify countdown time to check for new vehicles (defaults every 10 seconds)
4. The scale is set for Stratis ideally. On Altis, the string is thinner and the map doesn't open at a zoom level aligned to the roamers (I am guessing the ctrlMapScale command is dependant on map size as opposed to tied to firm values like 1:25000 etc). Doesnt affect usage at all - the string is still wide enough and you can zoom the map as per normal to align the roamers.
It is my first released mod so may very well be rubbish... but it does what it needs to!
- Fixed MP issues; should now work for everyone!
- Updated information to reflect ability to be compatible with spawned vehicles
- Added: Basic and advanced configuration option modules (see below)
- Added: Support for spawned vehicles (Can be customised in advanced config module - toggled on/off and duration between checks for spawned vehicles specified)
- Added: Automatic hint of user keys if advanced config is specified in case user keys are changed (can be turned off)
- Added: Distance measurement with the protractor string (hints) when in protractor map screen. (On by default, can by turned off in basic config module)
- Hotfix for protractor/map size over different maps. Added compatability with previous maps (eg. A3MP)
- BI forums