Requirements: No addons required
Short description: To fully port GL4 to A3, special FX features included.
Date: 2014-10-09 17:21
Group Link 5 Special FX Editionby
zorrobyte & Lordprimate
To fully port GL4 to A3, special FX features included.
What are the differences between GL5 CORE and GL5 FX?
GL5 CORE is AI only (GL5_System.pbo) for servers and those who use Blastcore, don't want FX, dubbing etc.
This Group Link 5 Special FX Edition is the full GL4 port including FX, dubbing, blood, burning buildings etc. Literally everything is here (although some may still be broken/buggy).
Since I use GIT and Forks, I work on the GL5 Core Repo (link) while Lordprimate works on the GL5 FX Repo (link). Any changes I make to the GL5 Core repo (updates, bugfixes, etc) get upstreamed (merged) into the GL5 FX repo.
Extract into the ArmA 3 Directory, by default this is located in:
32-Bit - C:\Program Files\Steam/Steamapps\Common\ArmA 3\
64-Bit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam/Steamapps\Common\ArmA 3\
After extraction it should look like this:
You can also use the "Arma 3 Alpha" folder in your "My Documents" folder. Your folder setup could than look like for example this:
When present place the "userconfig" folder into your game install folder, usually:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3".
You may already have "userconfig" folder from other addons and/or mods in which case it is safe to merge the contents from this archive.
You'll also need to add a Launch Parameter to Steam, in order to do so right-click on ArmA 3 Alpha and click Properties and then Set Launch Options. In the window that opens enter in -mod=@your_mod_folder_name
For using multiple mods you would then do so like this:
You can also use -nosplash to get rid of the splash art and intro videos.
And of course you can also enable and disable community made addons and mods through the in-game Options Expansions menu if you do not want to mess with startup parameters!
When the above information still does not provide you with enough to learn how to install custom addons and mods you can always ask in our Guide On Installing Mods.
Armaholic.com has its own Youtube channel where we will try to cover the Community made releases. Make sure to visit our channel and subscribe!
Armaholic.com on Youtube
1) Sometimes when an AI surrenders there is a pop up Error that requires a click to get passed... It is a Weapon Config error. and i do believe its on BIS's end.. It doesn't happen to every unit only certain ones and i haven't been able to figure out which one..
2) Undefined Variable... As far as i know there are only a few ..... first and most known is the "GL5_Patrol" variable... Now Please read this!!!!! I have attempted to fix it several times... The result was EVERY UNIT was put into a patrolling state even if you didn't set it up that way... So i have returned it to its original state as it works as it should.. Now please continue reading for more info..
When setting up a mission in the editor, If you want a unit to patrol a specific area using Grouplink.
Put this into the Units INIT:
this setVariable ["GL5_Patrol", Radius of search in meters];
Doing that will set that Unit or Group(if you put it in a leaders INIT) to patrol.
the others are related to the Bullet Sound Effects. These are the bullet cracks and impact sounds. After an extended fight suddenly there is stream of script errors related to an undefined variable "_d" or "_b" something like that . So some how a variable becomes undefined?? I dont know what causes it because it doesn't happen all the time. the only thing is its not my fault its been a problem it happens in GL4 in arma 2.
For those that done like undefined variables at all, sorry, but this will NOT spam your rpt forever.... for the GL5_Patrol error, Its only checked in the beginning of the mission.. and never again. I have tried several times. Its never panned out. If something ever comes up it will be hotfixxed in!! for the others I have yet to even figure out how it happens...
3) Some of the Graphics stuff may not work as intended.. It again is a WIP, just thought it fit since its an ai and effects mod....
4) High command still doesnt work, its going to be a while on that one, I have a good idea of how to fix it. I am just going to iron out some smaller stuff before I attack the bigger / more complicated problems.
5) AI shoot their flares at the ground instead of in the air... This is an issue with the "fire" script command.. In arma 2 the ai would fire in the air.. in ARMA 3 they fire wherever the heck they want... so sometimes you'll get a flare in the Air, most of the time though its on the ground....
6) the Intro.pbo requires @A3MP / @ALLinARMA.. it will pop up an error at launch but will still start just fine.. another one of those trivial errors... I always run with @A3MP anyways. so i never see it..
7) Cant think of any more now, if you point out a error to me ill update this post.
Please report issues here: https://bitbucket.org/zorrobyte/group-link-5-special-fx-edition/issues
There are no dependencies known but some may say Community Base addons A3 is required.
Credits & Thanks:
Toadlife - Operation Flashpoint Group Link The Original
KeyCat - Operation Flashpoint Group Link 2 The enhanced version
=\SNKMAN/= - Armed Assault Group Link 2 Plus with special thanks to ZoneKiller, KyleSarnik, Solus
=\SNKMAN/= - Armed Assault Group Link 3
snYpir, Zayfod, Toadlife, Igor Drukov, General Barron, TJ - Operation Flashpoint Mod ECP ( Enhanced Configuration Project )
thunderbird84, Harkonin - Operation Flashpoint Mod F.F.U.R
=\SNKMAN/= - Armed Assault 2 Group Link 4 Special FX Edition
Zorrobyte - Armed Assault 3 Group Link 5 Core for Arma 3
Lordprimate - Armed Assault 3 Group Link 5 Special FX Edition for Arma 3
Hats off to Lordprimate; he has spent countless hours converting classnames, patching bugs and is most generally responsible for all of the FX features in this edition of GL5.
KeyCat originally open sourced GL2, in which SNKMAN violated this license and instead closed sourced his port. Zorrobyte released GL5 open source which outraged some of the Arma community. I am humbled to carry Group Link onward under its original open source license, thank you!
This work is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.
You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Under the following terms:
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.
- fire and smoke in buildings works and looks much better
- "Fuel smoke" feature now is affected by the wind.. (there will still be two smoke effects. one BIS(light grey smoke) and one GL5 (thick black smoke)
- Ai surrender and use proper hands above head anim(most of the time).
- Graphics settings enhancement (WIP/TESTING) based on mods like (@ultrashadows. etc) Adds more graffical options for those with SUPER PC's
- Crew_FX, when a vehicle with passengers is exploded/blown the F up.... the crew has a random chance of being ejected "dead".... or "Alive and on fire".. they will run around, stop drop and roll until they die... Its Pretty gruesome..
- I made Super Simple Icons for the modules instead of the default ones(circles) they are now blue squares, that have some lettering that would tell you what it is .. IE.. Grouplink System module = GL5 Sys.... Grouplink SpecialFX module = GL5 sFX.... Grouplink Random Snow = "a picture of a snow flake made in paint( so dont laugh to hard),. ETC This will make them easily identifiable in the editor for easier syncing to units...
- Further Effort into getting Idle animations to work ( random anims for the ai nothing special... just giving me a hard time.
- groups would only split up into smaller goups if the group size was 7 or more .. i made it >=5
- I tried to touch the weapon rearming feature let me know if it works
- first public release
- BI forums