LAxemann and Jokoho482
Enhanced Soundscape is a sound enhancement modification for ArmA3. It adds additional, weapon-sound related features to the game. Those are hill/mountain reverb and reflections, forest reflections as well as reflections from houses in urban areas.
The basic principle is: Firing a weapon creates a loud noise, noise is waves that swing through the air/make the air swing and those waves get reflected off objects and terrain. The volume levels were done with my soundmod "DynaSound 2" in mind, but ES works with every mod including the vanilla sounds since nothing "core" is changed.
Real-time calculated Hill/mountain reverb:
The feature simulates the reflection of the gunshot-noise when there are hills around you. The further the mountain/hill, the more diffuse the reflection will be. Close terrain will reflect a clear "popp", while mountains in the distance will send back a diffuse, "crumbly" echo. The feature is calculated in real-time and real-environment, meaning you will actually be able to see the mountain the shot got reflected from.
So many trees and plants around you create some kind of "half-enclosed space". You will hear a thick layer all around you when firing inside a forest!
The many hard surfaces of houses in urban areas give a very direct and harsh reflection when firing a gun. The mod simulates this by playing slapback sounds from the actual walls when firing next to houses in urban areas. The result is a "thickened" feeling when firing your gun.
• Play reverb based on terrain (No reverb e.g. when directly (from a close distance) shooting against a mountain/hill)
• Play echo "popp" sounds if there's terrain that can reflect the gun sound in the shooting direction
• Reflect the gunsounds from nearby buildings when being in urban areas (So fighting in a city feels completely different than fighting in the open!)
• ES doesn't change any actual gunsounds, it just ADDS more elements and can therefore be used with any "real" soundmod such as JSRS, SoS...
• No effects when having a silencer or being inside a building (a bit hollywood-like but since most other sound related mods go the same way...)
• Completely local, no need to run it on the server, no network traffic
• Userconfig in which you can define the minimum fps at which ES calculations kick in (Default: 15fps)
To install Enhanced Soundscape you should use modfolders to keep it seperate from the official game content to prevent issues.
With Arma 3 you can use different ways to set up your modfolders to use custom content you have downloaded.
Please visit the Arma 3 Mod install instructions page
for more information about using custom mods and addons in Arma 3.
• Add new soundsets for more weapons
• Polish the existing sounds
• More features, maybe?
Credits & Thanks:
• Bohemia Interactive for this piece of software that stole my soul.
• Jokoho482 for rewriting and improving pretty much every script of Enhanced Soundscape while teaching me tons and tons of stuff. So much love! He made this possible.
• Everybody who kept motivating me over the last two and a half years! :)
• Everybody who enjoys what we do. :)
• I totally copy/pasted this from the DynaSound thread.
Fixed: Inheritance issues
Fixed: An error related to deleting dummy objects [Joko]
Fixed: A caching issue that would cause lagging after a while
1.21 - 10.08.2017
More Fixes and improvements by Joko
Fixed: Workaround for the broken say3d command [Joko] (Yes, the mod was pretty much broken for the last two months due to an engine error)
Tweaked: Urban reflections now accurately get slapped back from the walls, not building centers [Joko]
Changed: Joko introduced a new way of detecting suppressors
Fixed: No echo when placing a satchel anymore [Joko]
Fixed: We left the debug on *shrink*
- Fixed: Error with "put" in the fired EH
- Fixed: Should now differenciate between silencers and muzzlebreaks
• New userconfig
• New key
• Pretty much everything was overhauled at some point
• New sounds
• New sound dynamics
• Improved performance
• Removed JSRS compatibility (JSRS already uses a lite version of ES and will be updated when the time has come)
• Fixed the launcher errors
- JSRS3 Compatibility (Urban and forest sounds will automatically stop since JSRS3 uses an intern version of L_ES)
- Fixed: The urban script no longer checks for the player but the actual shooter
- Slight performance improvment thanks to Fett_Li
v0.43 (Internal version)
- Minor urban script tweaks
0.42 (Internal version)
- Reworked urban soundsets for HMGs, sniper rifles and cannons
- Performance improvement thanks to Ruthberg (again! )
- Changed: Standard urban soundset (should sound more "intense" now)
- Removed obsolete scripts
- Added: First version of the forest feature (Thanks to killzone_kid for the tip!)
- Optimized scripts, resulting in faster and better execution of the forest and urban scripts
- Added: compatibility with JSRS 2.2 which doesn't take speed of sound into account up to 130m
- Changed: Pistol reverb sounds
- Changed: Zafir reverb sounds
- Changed: M2 reverb sounds
- Changed: Some minor volume tweaks
- Improved the urban scripts
- ES can now be disabled via userconfig
- Huge performance increase thanks to Ruthberg, eliminated memory leak
- New Soundset: Trg21
- Reworked: Soundsets for launchers, GMG and MX
- Tweaked some volumes
- Own key, script and performance improvements, no reverb for "put" classes (such as satchels)
v0.15 (internal testversion)
- New soundsets: Mk20, Katiba, Mk200, Rahim - New urban soundset for heavy machineguns
- New soundsets: Mk20, Katiba, Mk200, Rahim
- New urban soundset for heavy machineguns
- New weapon-specific soundsets: Zafir & 155mm howitzer, significant performance improvements
- Removed obsolete scripts (no error messages anymore)
- First public alpha release
- Community Base addons A3
- BI forums