Cyprus Quick-Release System
Cyprus QRS adds quick-release buckles to Backpacks and Launchers so that you can drop them quickly, using a simple keypress, without having to open your Inventory first. User-configurable keybinds allow you to drop one or the other, or both items at the same time. If you are carrying or using a Map or GPS, QRS will automatically create a marker visible on your map only, at the location you quick-released an item. The use and appearance of these markers is user-configurable. When you pick up the backpack or launcher you quick-released earlier, the respective QRS marker is automatically removed from your map.
- quick-release in any stance, whilst stationary or running. When running, you will stop to quick-release your items, so taking cover first is recommended.
You cannot quick-release whilst:
- in a vehicle
- using a static weapon
- freefalling (e.g. HALO)
- using a parachute
- using a ladder
- standing, swimming, or diving in water
It is likely I have not foreseen all relevant situations, so please do report any dodginess you may come across - especially conflicts with other mods that introduce further actions.
Extract into the ArmA 3 Directory, by default this is located in:
32-Bit - C:\Program Files\Steam/Steamapps\Common\ArmA 3\
64-Bit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam/Steamapps\Common\ArmA 3\
After extraction it should look like this:
You can also use the "Arma 3 Alpha" folder in your "My Documents" folder. Your folder setup could than look like for example this:
When present place the "userconfig" folder into your game install folder, usually:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3".
You may already have "userconfig" folder from other addons and/or mods in which case it is safe to merge the contents from this archive.
You'll also need to add a Launch Parameter to Steam, in order to do so right-click on ArmA 3 Alpha and click Properties and then Set Launch Options. In the window that opens enter in -mod=@your_mod_folder_name
For using multiple mods you would then do so like this:
You can also use -nosplash to get rid of the splash art and intro videos.
And of course you can also enable and disable community made addons and mods through the in-game Options Expansions menu if you do not want to mess with startup parameters!
When the above information still does not provide you with enough to learn how to install custom addons and mods you can always ask in our Guide On Installing Mods
Quick-Release System key bindings may be changed in-game via: CONFIGURE > CONTROLS > CONFIGURE ADDONS.
The following settings may be changed to your liking via the userconfig file:
- enable/disable automatic creation of map markers when you quick-release a backpack
- enable/disable automatic creation of map markers when you quick-release a launcher
- set the map marker text added when you quick-release a backpack, or disable it
- set the map marker text added when you quick-release a launcher, or disable it
- set the map marker type used when you quick-release an item
- set the map marker and text colour used when you quick-release an item
Cyprus Quick-Release System is signed. In fact, it is signed twice, and I have included two sets of keys. I'm going for both granularity AND simplicity.
- cyprus.bikey : this corresponds to my personal non-specific key
- cyprus-quickrelease.bikey : this corresponds to my personal key unique for this particular addon only
In this way you may either allow all my addons or cherry pick only those you want by adding the appropriate keys to your server.
- make user-configurable items adjustable via an in-game interface, instead of the userconfig file
- add a 3D semi-transparent marker visible in-game, similar to objectives, to guide you back to quick-release points
- change the default action menu item for quick-released items, to allow collecting all in one go
QRS was my first addon idea, but not my first actual release. I chose it because I used to play solo a lot, or coop in very small teams, always very heavily laden with launchers and ammo. Very often I needed to ditch extraneous kit to manuvre faster for scouting or CQB, and to avoid fatigue. I grew tired of having to open my Inventory and right-click to drop stuff, hence my Cyprus Quick-Release System idea was born.
Whilst a very simple concept, in practice it gave me some tricky scripting challenges, and I've learned a lot from making it.
It would be great to hear from those of you who add Cyprus Quick-Release System to your server, mission, mod collection or repository, or simply enjoy using it.
Credits & Thanks:
- [Mox] Lanski-TPF-, for the graphics, patience and encouragement
- Taosenai and the CBA team, for their Keybinding System
- Melkho [ExpBG], for allowing me to talk at him re my disappearing GWH problems and, in doing so, having a moment of clarity
- The authors and contributors of BIS Community WIKI, for such a useful reference
- Armaholic and withSix networks for hosting this addon
- My friends at the Expeditionary Battlegroup
- You, for using the Cyprus Quick-Release System
License / Disclaimer:
This work is released under the Arma Public License Share Alike license.
- Initial release
- BI forums
- Community Base addons A3