Requirements: Community Base addons A3
Signed: Yes, serverkey included
Short description: An unforgiving player suppression mod
Date: 2018-11-23 18:12
Jokoho482 and LAxemann
Video games generally can barely recreate one thing:
The fear of losing your life.
In reality, suppressing the enemy by sending shitloads of bullets is so effective because he's sure that sticking out his head will end his life-forever.
This can't be recreated, however, because you won't have that feeling when sitting in front of the PC.
Most players will return fire anyway or at least try to get a glimpse at who's shooting at them.
Usually, you wouldn't continue shooting when a bullet just flew right past your face.
This is especially frustrating when playing TvT missions and firing 100 rounds of a 7.62mm at him doesn't seem to bother the enemy.
This mod is supposed to change this dramatically.
How does it work?
The mod works with a value that checks how "suppressed" you are.
Bullets whizzing nearby (so that you can hear their supersonic crack) will suppress you a bit and nearby impacts will suppress you more.
The amount of suppression added to your suppression value depends on which ammo/weapon was shot at you.
(Firing a 7.62 will suppress more than a pistol...duh! :D)
The suppression value decreases quite fast over time, but not if you're getting shot at, so constant fire will keep you suppressed.
The actual suppression effect consists of an increasing tunnelvision, general blur aswell as a desaturated, bright screen.
You'll still be able to move around just fine, but identifying the enemy that is shooting at you from 100m away won't be possible.
As a little side-thingy, nearby impacting bullets will "scare" you and give you a small effect for ~ half a second.
Also, the mod is completely client-side.
To install Suppress you should use modfolders to keep it seperate from the official game content to prevent issues.
With Arma 3 you can use different ways to set up your modfolders to use custom content you have downloaded.
Please visit the Arma 3 Mod install instructions page for more information about using custom mods and addons in Arma 3.
In order to deactivate the mod in a mission, just put this into your init.sqf:
L_suppress_active = false;
Armaholic.com has its own Youtube channel where we will cover the Community made releases.
Subscribe to the Armaholic.com Youtube channel
- Suppress now also works when switching units in Zeus. Can be disabled, but will take another unit swap to take effect.
Added: Almost all aspects of the mod are now tweakable via the CBA options menu.
Tweaked: The intensity of the "flyby" effect now scales with a combination of calibre and distance to player
- You'd get suppressed by a nearby enemy using satchels etc.
- Fixed Eden issue
• Switched to CBA XEH system
• New way to track projectiles should increase performance (Thanks to Blaubär & Joko!)
• Rewrote most of the code
• new bikey
• Effects properly disappear when L_suppress_threshold is adjusted via script
• Almost completely switched to CBA's perFrameHandler (Except for the nearby impact effects) - Thanks to Nou for pointing towards this!
• Got rid of pretty much every spawn
• The mod is more accurate now
• You can now be suppressed when turned out of a vehicle
- Official first "Stable" version and players can no longer suppress themselves when using mounted guns and such. (Thanks to Fett_Li!)
- Hopefully fixed the position error
- Added a module so that the mission can enforce the use of Suppress
- Initial Release
- Community Base addons A3
- BI forums