Gorgona is a small island located in the Ligurian Sea, 37 km off the west coast of Italy and 35 km north of the island of Capraia. Inhabited and fortified since ancient times, it is now home to an agricultural penal colony, housing 50 prisoners, including those convicted of murder and other violent crimes, as well as Mafiosi. The prisoners work the island's farms, moving freely around the island by day tending crops and livestock, returning to the prison buildings before the evening curfew. In the history of the prison, only one prisoner has escaped, though it is not known if he survived the long swim to the mainland. (Source: Wikipedia)
Though based on the real island of Gorgona, this terrain differs somewhat from the actual island. Firstly, the terrain is larger - measuring 3.7 km from north to south, and 2.6 km from east to west (compared to 2.1 km and 1.6 km respectively for the real island). Secondly, the terrain is a lot less steep than the real island. Finally, while the terrain's buildings and roads are based on the real thing, I've taken a lot of liberties to produce some interesting locations for Arma3.
Gorgona's size, topography, ground cover, and locations make it perfect for small-unit infantry actions and stealth missions with an emphasis on close-quarter combat.
Terrain dimensions: 4.1 km x 4.1km
Terrain area: 16.2 sq. km
Island dimensions: approx 3.7 km x approx 2.6 km
Land area: approx. 6.5 sq km.
Heightmap resolution: 4 m/pixel
Elevation range: -50 m to 230 m
Approx 112,000 objects
Hilly, heavily forested terrain, with large olive plantations, and rocky shorelines.
1 main village, with several surrounding farms and compounds.
Locations: Prison, junk yard, port, helipad, cemetery, castle, radome installation, military camp, research station.
To install the Gorgona Terrain you should use modfolders to keep it seperate from the official game content to prevent issues.
With Arma 3 you can use different ways to set up your modfolders to use custom content you have downloaded.
Please visit the Arma 3 Mod install instructions page
for more information about using custom mods and addons in Arma 3.
No known issues currently.
Credits & Thanks:
CAPTNCAPS (teamproskill) and FSF for their incredibly helpful tutorials.
Bushlurker, M!lkman, Jakerod and the many others who offer help and advice in the Arma 3 Terrain forums.
Mikero for his invaluable and amazing tools
Gav, Sam, and Geks for alpha testing.
Contributors to this thread for posting issues and feedback.
BIS for making the Arma series in the first place
Thanks to Makhno for the pro-tip.
License / Disclaimer:
This addon is released under the Arma Public Licence Share Alike (APL-SA) licence
FIXED: In-game map grid is no longer divided into two large-scale grid squares. This fixes some issues with the GPS coordinates and some features of ACE3.
Visual optimisation - Making Gorgona Splendid Again.
ADDED: Green grass texture plus clutter.
ADDED: Three large olive groves on the previously bare slopes on the east side of the island.
ADDED: Miscellaneous trees and bushes to blend better with new, darker sat image.
ADDED: Functioning or new lights to various locations, inc Gorgona Scalo, the prison and the military base.
TWEAKED: Config lighting settings.
TWEAKED: Sat image and mask image - there are some changes to the distribution and extent of the different surface textures.
TWEAKED: Texture PAAs - to better match updated sat image. Stony PAA swapped for soil PAA.
TWEAKED: Clutter on dry grass textures.
TWEAKED: All non-concrete roads changed to dirt trails.
TWEAKED: Config and surface textures updated to 1.60 standards. This fixes the 1.60 Black Sky bug.
ADDED: Some clutter objects around the helipad.
REMOVED: Target range objects from the military base. Unfortunately these were crashing MakePbo for some reason.
ADDED: A few minor cosmetic tweaks to road paths (near Gorgona Scalo) and to the pier at the harbour in Gorgona Scalo.
ADDED : Short road segments to gated compounds to allow AI to path through gates better (hopefully).
ADDED: any changes to objects introduced in the latest (post-Nexus) version of Mikero's Arma3p.
- FIXED: Buildings and markers not appearing on editor and in-game map.
- FIXED: Crash on exiting Arma 3 after previewing Gorgona in the editor.
- FIXED: Intermittent issue with activation of environmental lights on first load in to editor or missions.
(It seems these issues were due to incompatibilities between new type 60 p3ds introduced in recent Arma 3 updates and BIS Binarize. Beta v1.3 uses type 58 p3ds, which apparently fixes these bugs, but may cause other unforeseen issues.)
- Fixed: Smoothed and widened several lethal gullies around the coastline (some are now good clandestine landing spots!).
- Fixed: Several misplaced objects (tree bin by prison wall, street lamp in town building and others)
- Fixed: Ground clipping through floor of several buildings.
- Added: Randomisation of orientation of most trees and bushes to give a more natural look (Thank you to Jakerod and his excellent Atlas terrain tutorial for the pro-tip!)
- Added: Box pier to harbour area.
- Added: Pier ladders to square water tanks to allow entry and escape.
- Added: Break in fence around Helipad.
- Fixed: Keypoint text colour more legible
- Added: Seabed texture, clutter, rock outcroppings (and a surprise or two).
- Added: Several small ruins and a small comm compound to wooded areas
- Added: Secondary entrance to Military camp, plus several new lights to camp and radome.
- Added: Security fence, gates, new lights to Helipad.
- Beta release
- BI forums