Since there are no target scripts for Arma 3 other than the UNA Targets by Walker for Arma 2 (that does not work in A3), I bring my own creation to the table for everyone.
This project is based on UNA targets idea, but built from scratch with Arma 3 scripting instead. His work inspired me to create my project and my targets may work the same way as his, but the scripting is completely different.
A lot of groups and clans out there don't even have working targets to shoot at other than improvised pop up scripts. Thus during my time in my old community I tasked myself to create a proper target system with real score based on accuracy. This script was originally intended to be used with the pop up targets in game, but I changed it to sign targets when I remembered the UNA targets.
To those that know how UNA targets worked, they relied on coordinates from a vehicle that spawned where the bullet impacted, which greatly reduced the accuracy of the targets. My script uses target eventhandlers to convert the position hit into model space, which makes score calculation easy to count and for recalibrating for a different target. You can easily change any part of the scripts and targets to adapt to your shooting experience.
- Put the mission folder in your missions folder in your My Documents folder.
- Open the editor in game and open the Moss_Targets mission.
- Copy paste everything you need or rename the mission folder to begin your new adventure.
- Make sure to bring the script files from the mission folder to the mission you're importing it to.
If you change any object the logic is synced to, make sure to change the type of object in the settings file.
Because the script that initializes the objects and their script checks what type of object it is independent of the name of the object.
Scripts may seem difficult to understand, but know that the script is modular and can be copy pasted up to a hundred times.
Thus a minimum amount of objects are named in the editor. Only the logic and the target has names because of the range name system and the camera monitor system for the targets. Make sure the names of the objects ends with a 2 digit number ranging from 01 to 20+.
Comments provided should be enough for you to edit the script yourself, but feel free to post a question below.
I will do my best to answer them.
On the mission you will find markers with hints.
Read them and then remove them.
If you have an improvement to the scripts, post it here and I will add it together with credits to you.
There are certain things I haven't seen due to my lack of skill using pythagoras.
Changing target picture or scoring is a little bit tricky.
Activate debug mode in the settings file and then shoot the target to get the debug info in game.
Frequently Asked Questions:
I've made several attempts using .paa and tried to limit the mipmap generation to 1, but then they just won't show up at long distances.
- Using BIS camera from the debug console will render the monitors black.
- Score calculation is off by a hair on the target (due to image ratio versus texture of object ratio).
- The monitor for the targets takes time to initialize and you can only use maximum 6.
- Because of textures not being in .paa format, the player must walk up to the black replacement texture and load the textures in before it's visible at long range.
Camera monitor count is maximum 6.
Don't rush the actions on the signs.
- Improve the range based on user input.
- Get reports from people that have tested 15 or more players on a range.
- Clean the code up for target score calculation is possible.
License / Disclaimer:
Usage request: Do not remove me as original creator of the content when using it in your missions or mods.
You may edit, improve and use the scripts under the Arma Public License
- first release
- BI forums