ShackTac Map Gestures
ShackTac Map Gestures (STMG) is a mod created to solve a simple problem – in a virtual environment, it’s impossible to simply point at a map or trace a path for others to see. This tends to slow briefings and is a purely artificial limit, so… this fixes that!
After adopting this mod, ShackTac saw a significant increase in briefing clarity and efficiency. It became significantly easier for a leader to talk through a plan and show exactly what the intent was via gestures, and anyone with questions could easily ask them and show exactly what they meant on the map via the gestures.
Extract into the ArmA 3 Directory, by default this is located in:
32-Bit - C:\Program Files\Steam/Steamapps\Common\ArmA 3\
64-Bit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam/Steamapps\Common\ArmA 3\
After extraction it should look like this:
You can also use the "Arma 3 Alpha" folder in your "My Documents" folder. Your folder setup could than look like for example this:
When present place the "userconfig" folder into your game install folder, usually:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3".
You may already have "userconfig" folder from other addons and/or mods in which case it is safe to merge the contents from this archive.
You'll also need to add a Launch Parameter to Steam, in order to do so right-click on ArmA 3 Alpha and click Properties and then Set Launch Options. In the window that opens enter in -mod=@your_mod_folder_name
For using multiple mods you would then do so like this:
You can also use -nosplash to get rid of the splash art and intro videos.
And of course you can also enable and disable community made addons and mods through the in-game Options Expansions menu if you do not want to mess with startup parameters!
When the above information still does not provide you with enough to learn how to install custom addons and mods you can always ask in our Guide On Installing Mods
Map gestures are enabled automatically a few seconds into a mission. To use, simply click and drag on the map to activate – as long as you hold down your left mouse button after dragging, your point will continue to display.
- Map gestures are visible to others within a 7-meter radius and are tagged with a subdued name to the left of your pointing dot.
- Map gestures are visible within a vehicle, but not between vehicles or between dismounted and mounted units.
- Group leaders will have brighter pointers, while subordinate members will have slightly dimmer ones, to help differentiate more easily between pointers.
Color-coding of pointers uses standards from the ShackTac framework to determine the color of your pointer. This is done by looking at your group’s groupID variable, which is the shorthand for any given element – such as “ASL”, “A1″, “B1″, “PltHQ”, etc. There are several arrays for groupID color matching, so if you’d like to use your own designations, simply add them (as strings) to the following arrays as needed, and ensure that your groups have their groupID variable set to match:
- In the past, sending updates through the server was a bandwidth concern and could potentially cause performance issues – fortunately, A3 has introduced new methods, and STMG solves this problem by using a client-to-client transfer method that avoids the server entirely. Instead of going through the server, clients send their “map gesture” data directly to other clients within a short range of them.
- This mod is designed to be used in an all-or-nothing fashion, which is to say, as part of a core modset and not as an optional aspect. Using it in any other fashion will likely cause issues, as well as defeat the purpose of it (why gesture if you don’t know if someone can receive it?).
- As stated in the intro, this is released as-is and is not guaranteed to work with other modsets. Test it before you use it in your community.
- Issues can be reported to our GitLab tracker
- This mod requires Community Base Addons (CBA)
- This mod uses a unique server key, not tied to the existing STUI key, making it something that must be deliberately allowed on a server.
License / Disclaimer:
This mod is released as-is and was designed to suit the ShackTac modset and play style – compatibility with mods outside of our modset is not guaranteed and is something a community should test before introducing this!
ShackTac Map Gestures documentation is maintained here:
You can report issues with it here:
Usage of ST Map Gestures (STMG) requires agreement with the following terms. The mod (STMG) may NOT be modified, included in other mods in whole or part, used for military training or any commercial purposes whatsoever, without prior permission from the author. Redistribution of the addon via 6updater/PwS etc is permitted only if it is unmodified and free of charge. Modifications are forbidden without prior permission from the author.
You can reach the author (dslyecxi) at
- slight update to custom color technique
- Initial release
- BI forums
- Community Base addons A3