Lesh's Tow Mod
Lesh's Tow mod allows for towing of vehicles by other vehicles.
The goal is to provide a framework for towing so that various mod makers can allow their users to use their vehicles with towing without having to bundle your own towing solution with the mod. Much like what ASDG Joint Rails does for weapons and attachments.
I have been hacking away at many different methods to achieve smooth and believable towing. And after a year of working on the project on and off I have finally reached a solution that satisfies me.
The functions are written completely from scratch. However i'd like to aknowledge Rundll's excellent work on the original goto towing script for providing me with insight to the problem and a place to start from.
How does it work
Very simply you grab a vehicle that is capable of towing and drive it in front of a vehicle that is capable of being towed. By pressing Shift+B the towing commences and your good to go. To stop the towing just hit Shift+B again.
If you are not quite in position to tow but close 2 spheres will appear for guidance for several seconds. When the spheres are lined up pressing Shift+B should initiate towing.
The mod doesn't require any setup in the mission. Just running the mod is enough to enable towing in scenarios.
More information about using and special cases in the readme accompanying the mod files.
When installing custom created content you should use modfolders to keep it seperate from the official game content to prevent issues.
With Arma 3 you can use different ways to set up your modfolders to use custom content you have downloaded.
Please visit the Arma 3 Mod install instructions page
for more information about using custom mods and addons in Arma 3.
For usage instructions and information of how to use the Lesh's Tow Mod please refer to the included documentation.
The mod is largely untested in many many scenarios and might exhibit unexpected behaviour.
Due to the implementation, gravity doesn't act normally on the towed vehicle which might lead to interesting edge cases around areas where ground level changes quickly or dramatically.
While connected to an UGV you can't use other vehicles to tow as the UGV always takes precedence. To avoid this just disconnect from the UGV.
Optional configuration don't require their host mod which might result in errors if used without.
If the driver of the towing vehicle is killed I have no idea what will happen as it is not a scenario I have considered.
There is still a lot I'd like to do with the mod feature wise but for now I'm going to sit back after putting in many many hours and seeing many an explosion and focus on fixing any bugs / issues that are reported. If you find any issues or have an idea on how to extend this mod please don't hesitate to post a reply or send me a pm.
The mod is designed to work in multiplayer and dedicated environments. The tow functions are run on the clients doing the actual towing so there is minimal performance hit on the server beyond the network updates caused by updating the vehicles directions and velocities. There is 1 function that relies on remoteExec which relates to transferring locality of objects. If remoteExec is disabled on the server/mission you can transfer locality of the target vehicle by getting into it as pilot.
Credits & Thanks:
Author - Leshrack
Special thanks to:
Rundll - For the original towing script concept. This incarnation however far removed from the original, I wouldn't have been able to make it without it.
TeTeT - For being there to chat to and bounce ideas back and forth.
Autumn - For the graphics
Ville - For recording and editing the video trailer
Reach Elite Forces - For helping with testing and enduring my existance ;)
Bohemia - Without the arma series I wouldn't know what to do with my time.
License / Disclaimer:
This mod is released under the Arma Public Lisence - Share Alike (https://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/arma-public-license-share-alike)
This is the first public release of still a mostly untested piece of software. Things will get fixed and tweaked in future releases.
I also hereby take no responsibility for any potential bad things that might happen while using this mod.
Resigned pbo's with new signature version (v3)
Fixed publishedId in meta.cpp
- Added Arma 3 DLC vehicles to the configurations
- Added ability to tow vehicles that are manned by other players or AI
- Added debug function to determine the locations of tow points ([vehicle] call LESH_towing_fnc_debug and [vehicle] call LESH_towing_fnc_removeDebug)
- Added ability to define tow points on runtime for specific vehicles (this will override config values if those exists) which can be used to add the ability to tow something that doesn't have configs or override something where it is slightly off
- Added custom setDirection function to allow rotation around any point of the vehicle instead of [0,0] in model space (makes bigger planes work better)
- Improved the towing function to use a slightly better speed calculation
- Removed the optionals (most were already integrated and they don't really play nice with the workshop)
- Removed mode setting for remoteExecCfg. Was causing compatibility issues with mods and scripts that haven't defined whitelists for remoteExec calls yet.
- Changed modelToWorld to ModelToWorldVisual in tow function which seems to be better when driving without the speed limiter which is now a lot safer.
- Fixed another nil variable script fail (thanks again TeTeT)
- Fixed a bug in which caused the towed vehicle to get a negative speed while driving forwards resulting in a jump backward. Should result in a somewhat smoother tow experience
- Fixed requiredAddons in cfgPatches for all the patch pbo's which seems to have fixed them getting added in the requirements for missions
- Fixed vanilla configs having wrong base class for the transport choppers
- Fixed Perals tractor optional configs had wrong base class
- Added F/A-18X Black Wasp optional config patch
- Added a short explanation for the various config values to the readme.txt
- Added a simple example mission to quickly allow testing of the mod
- Fixed vanilla config patch to not get autoadded to the addons and addonsAuto when placing a vanilla vehicle in the editor
- Fixed script error that occured when calling certain functions manually (thanks TeTeT)
- Reworked some of the scripts to allow multiple instances of towing by the same player/client. (Untested in multiplayer)
- Towing now allows "trains" if you have a vehicle that can both tow and be towed.
- Added keybind to disable the speed limiter default: Shift+Ctrl+B (use at own risk)
- Added optional config for Chairbornes Harriers
- Added new config parameter to alter direction if the model forward/backward don't line up with the modelspace coordinate axis'
- Replaced placeholder mod icon with the proper one (thanks Autumn)
- first release
- Community Base addons A3
- BI forums