Requirements: No addons required
Version: beta 1
Date: 2008-04-09 08:04
USS Nimitz (CVN-68): Aircraft Carrier
DaSquade and Hawks ported to Arma by USMCRP, Franze, and Tykell
The Nimitz-class supercarrier in ArmA. A stationary platform capable of launching and recovering aircraft, as well as re-arming and refuelling them. At this stage we have not been able to implement some features yet, but we know the ArmA community is dying for one of these babies so we've gone ahead and released the first beta. We hope you enjoy it. It currently features a fully transversable flight deck, working catapults, re-arming and refueling capabilities, and the flight deck tower has been designated as a "rearm" unit for the Hornet, allowing players who use the add on to activate the GUI load out system on the flight deck.
Copy hwk_uss_nimitz.pbo addon in addons\ folder.
Or as we always recommend use mod folders to keep your mods organized and prevent errors.
Check our FAQ for a clear explanation.
Included .pbo files:
The only aircraft that currently takes full advantage of the Nimitz' features is Franze's F/A-18 Superhornet. Aircraft such as the A-10, Su-34, and AV8B can take off from the carrier, however it is very tricky to land them using the arrestor hook script. It is far easier to use Franze's built-in arrestor hook on his F/A-18, which indeed is the only true carrier-capable aircraft modelled in ArmA at the moment.
With that said, it goes without saying that we cannot guarantee 100% compatibility with other free-distributed addons, besides Franze's F/A-18 Superhornet.
- The Nimitz deck, for whatever reason, is unstable when placed in some areas. Holes in the deck are everywhere and the planes spawn in mid air. This is usually corrected by simply moving the Nimitz a few meters in the editor or alternatively rotating it. When you find a place where the Nimitz is stable, it is guaranteed to always be stable at that location.
- The radar's rotation sometimes goes a bit crazy and rotates unrealistically. Minor cosmetic issue.
- The catapult system is hard to trigger, you have to look down at the deck when you're in position and have to be in a pixel perfect location.
- The arrestor cable system is VERY tricky to use to land planes such as the harrier, a-10, or SU. Franze's F/A-18 works fine since it has a built-in arrestor system.
- The tower's MLOD is kind of messed up. Some walls can be walked through and some floors have holes in them. Something I'd like to fix but I don't know how. You can still walk through the tower, just be careful in some areas. Doors are hard to open though.
- Objects on the carrier have to be spawned 20m in the air using the command "
this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, 20]" in the unit's init field. Unavoidable, I believe, and it is to be expected.
- The AA guns on the carrier are not yet working. Relatively minor, but I don't have the knowledge to do it and Franze is busy with his own things.
Take off -
Original OFP Add-On Model: DaSquade and Hawks
ArmA Port/Testing: USMCRP, Franze, and Tykell
Textures: Unknown. Please let me know who you are if you did the new textures for the port.
- 15th MEU
- Franze for his awesome Hornet and all of his help making this add-on playable
- DaSquade and Hawks for making such an awesome add on and allowing me to continue their work
- USMCRP for his great work at porting a working copy of the Nimitz into ArmA and allowing me to privately work on it
- Armaholic forums
Tags: No tags