A custom memory allocator for Arma 3.
I made a custom memory allocator for Arma3 and I want to share it with you. Originally I made this for testing purpose only but maybe it can improve performance in some cases.
Blub created 3 memory allocator builds. XTBB works best for 32bit client and CMA works best for 64bit. I included the version of CMA (has 2 builds) that has been whitelisted and also works best. Created this archive,
Again, archive includes 32bit xtbbmalloc + configuration ini + source
64bit CMA build with SSE4, AVX and AVX2 versions + config ini + source
Based on Intels tbbmalloc 4.4 Update 5 ( https://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/ )
Support for large pages
Includes some special tweaks which can improve performance in some cases (opt in)
Interface for reading memory statistics and modifying parameters on the fly
Customizable via settings file
Source code included. Feel free to modify
Installation / Usage:
.dll files can harm your PC! Before running this you should make sure you understand the risks!
Armaholic and its staff can never be held responsible when any file you download from our website causes any damages, disruption in services or anything else in any way! Downloading and installing these files is totally at your own risk!
We have run anti-virus tools on the included files and found no issues but this is no guarantee!
- Copy xtbbmalloc.dll into your "[...]\Arma 3\Dll" folder.
- Copy xtbbmalloc.ini into your "[...]\Arma 3" folder.
- Open xtbbmalloc.ini and set your desired configuration.
- Run the game with -malloc=xtbbmalloc or choose xtbbmalloc in Arma3Launcher (Parameters->Advanced->Advanced->Malloc)
- You need to start the game as admin to use some features (e.g. large pages)
- You need to give your account the "Lock pages in memory" privilege (secpol.msc/Local Polices/User Rights Assignment). Restart your PC.
Does it work?
- Read the log file (xtbbmalloc.txt) in your game directory. There should be a line near the end "Using large pages" or "Using normal pages".
- There are also some other entries you can read to find out what did not work.
Credits & Thanks:
Credits added by Armaholic:
- Thanks to archibald tutter for sending us an archive of all the files since the original authors mirror no longer worked plus an explanation of how the files work.
Added some statistics and a new experimental configuration: "LockPages" (Check readme)
Custom builds for SSE2, AVX, AVX2, with and without statistics enabled.
Also added a demo mission which shows how to query and show xtbbmalloc´s statistics ingame.
- BI forums
Tags: No tags