If you're a single player fan like myself, you've definitely noticed how incomplete and unreliable the AI movement is. They may not follow the exact path you want, or even worse, not move at all! Just put a couple of units on top of carrier or ship in the Editor, you'll see what I mean!
This mod, Tactical Satellite Feed, is designed to work around this exact problem. But that's not all there is to it! When I saw the potential for new features, I decided to make this mod look more complete, to the point that it's now a multi-purpose mod!
This mod is inspired by such games as Door Kickers, Tom Clancy's game series, and of course the mod C2 Command & Control by our very own Mad_Cheese!
Without further ado, let's jump straight to the mod features! I recommend that you watch the trailer first to get an idea of how the mod works and familiarize yourself with its mechanics.
- Top-down view of the battlefield.
- Easy to use; simply draw paths using mouse
- Set up anywhere and anytime with just a few clicks
- Automatic path correction; minimizing micro-management
- Move units on any surface and terrain, including ships/carriers.
- Complete AI movement override; get them to do whatever you want!
- Various functions, including:
. Watch direction
. Change stance
. Engage targets
. Mount vehicles
. Sync movement
. Supports Enhanced Movement by Bad Benson
. Path recording; player records path for AI to follow
. Fog of War simulation; unknown enemies become hidden
Warning!!! This is a preview release! Expect lots of bugs! Use the mod at your own risk!
To install Tactical Satellite Feed you should use modfolders to keep it seperate from the official game content to prevent issues.
With Arma 3 you can use different ways to set up your modfolders to use custom content you have downloaded.
Please visit the Arma 3 Mod install instructions page
for more information about using custom mods and addons in Arma 3.
For usage instructions and information of how to use the Tactical Satellite Feed please refer to the included documentation and/or example mission.
1. The path cannot be corrected very well if it's drawn though an enter-able building (it will cycle though all rooms inside the building). This will be corrected in upcoming versions.
2. The AI turn into ghosts when they are moving using this mod (what I refer to as "ghosting" bug). Which is one reason why I need to "correct" their path. Still, the path correction function is not perfect and the AI may pass through objects sometimes (they almost always pass though fences and objects with holes)! Please try not to freak out in such situations!!!
3. The AI may sometimes get confused and go a completely wrong way! In these situations please use the STOP button and then use the MOVE button to correct this issue.
Q1: Hold on for a sec, isn't this an AR-2 Darter you're trying to pass off as a satellite?!
A1: Yep! It is. The name of the mod actually comes from my initial idea of creating a camera [still not a satellite! ;) ] , but I was forced to choose a "living" vehicle that has a HUD (see Q2). UAVs, which incidentally also have a camera, fit the bill just right.
Q2: [For Nerds!] So what's the reason behind changing from a camera to a UAV?
A2: This mod uses DrawIcon3D, which is only visible from vehicles that have a HUD. A "camera" doesn't have one, hence I had to choose something else. Which is why I went for UAVs instead.
Q3: This looks like a carbon copy of C2!
A3: No, it's not. C2 is a more versatile mod, which can be used for both Vehicular and Infantry combat. My mod, however, is solely focused on infantry combat. Still I'm not denying the fact that I took some ideas from C2!
Q4: The mod's name sounds a bit irrelevant!
A4: I've always been terrible at all branches of linguistics!
1. All moves performed by the AI through this mod are completely managed by scripts and thus are fake! So they may act weird sometimes!
2. Preferably do not use the mod when your FPS is under 25 (if it's consistent; transient FPS-drops are fine).
3. Despite the mod having a path correction function, it is a good practice not to rely too much on it and try to avoid objects yourself. You must always avoid complex objects (those with lots of sharp corners and surfaces such as enter-able buildings, rocks, barriers, etc)
4. This mod is not and probably will never be MP compatible due to its "cheating" nature and its "dangerous" functions!
5. Make sure you check the CBA settings to customize the mod to your liking.
6. There is an option called "Connecting Lines Style" in CBA Settings which has two options: 3D Lines and 3D Icons (the part of the trailer about "Multi-selection" uses 3D Lines, elsewhere they are 3D Icons) 3D Lines have a better look but have a bigger performance impact, so use them if you have a powerful PC, otherwise use 3D Icons.
Note that all Watch Directions, Sync Lines and Action Lines are 3D Lines. Do not draw too many of them!
7. The night vision is not real and it's actually a post-processing effect, which is why it might not work very well sometimes! Make sure post-processing effects are enabled in your video settings before using it.
Credits & Thanks:
@mad_cheese and @bad benson for the Enhanced Movement functions!
Temporary solution for units going in circles!
Added tooltips to the UI buttons + some font changes.
Button text size now depends on user interface size. This should avoid too big / too small texts.
Misc tweaks to the unit movement.
Fixed the action line broken after the update
Slightly improved the NVG
Improved the movement accuracy, especially at low FPS
Instead of deleting the UAV at nights, move it out of sight! Thanks to @Riksen for feedback!
Improved FoW: Fixed a loophole where enemies might've become hidden after save/load (e.g. the player died while cam was open)
- Fixed icons not appearing for people who use custom HUDs. Thanks to @sammael for his feedback and tests!
- Fixed a minor error in multi-selection when selection was empty.
- Community Base addons A3
- BI forums