Project True Viking aims to represent the fictional Nordic country of Askeland in Arma 3. Our team has worked over many years, many iterations (ASTFOR), and many problems to get to the point we are at now. We aim to firstly provide a highly detailed mod covering the entire Askeland Defence Force--including a vast and rich history that intertwines with real-life history, giving the existence of our fictional nation more plausibility in sounding like something than can truly exist in real life! Our next step will be to get the actual nation of Askeland in game before introducing the public services, and some of Askeland’s most prominent enemies.
Welcome to Askeland:
Askeland (Old Norse: Askrland), a country borne from the ashes of volcanic fire and home to warriors so fierce that even their fellow Vikings were scared of them…or so the legends say. According to surviving pieces of an Askelandic saga, it got its name from when its originally Norse settlers first saw it's beauty and vast ash trees. It was nicknamed after Ask (Old Norse: Askr which means literally "Ash Tree"). According to sources such as the Poetic Edda, Askr and Embla were the first man and woman created by Odin, Hœnir and Lóðurr and went on to be granted a home in Midgard.
To some, as often found in Germanic paganism and mythology, these ash trees became something sacred to its people. Some scholars hypothesize that there existed notable amount of ritual and reverence shown, especially by its warriors. Many boat and spear were made from these revered "children" of Askr and Embla as well as burnt ash from these trees ritualistically rubbed into the skin before battles or raids. This lead to them also being known--according to the 11th century German (Saxon) Historian and Geographer, Adam von Bremen's historical writings called the "Gesta Hammaburgensis Ecclasiae Pontificum"--as the nickname of Ascomanni, or "Ash Men".
Modern day Askeland is very different from the days of yore, it is a vibrant and cultural Scandinavian nation. Askeland has a budding tourist industry taking advantage of the natural vistas and sports facilities dotted all over the island. The people enjoy the benefits of modern politics in the Scandinavian union, their embassies across the world allow them to play a key role in the modern world. Askeland is, on the face of it, just like Norway, Denmark and Sweden.
Below the surface however there is a darker side to Askeland. Recent political troubles in Europe has led rise to multiple extremist groups becoming more open in their actions across the country. The Askeland Defense Forces face a troublesome future, though they have years of tradition and a proud history to maintain morale their resolve is being tested. They face a war on multiple fronts, maintaining their NATO commitments overseas, preparing for a potential threat to Scandinavia by Russia, and helping the public services at home. No matter the threat, no matter the cost--these sons and daughters of Askeland--like their ancestors, will face any challenge with the same amount of bravery and ferocity as their ancestors.
To install Project True Viking you should use modfolders to keep it seperate from the official game content to prevent issues.
With Arma 3 you can use different ways to set up your modfolders to use custom content you have downloaded.
Please visit the Arma 3 Mod install instructions page
for more information about using custom mods and addons in Arma 3.
Credits & Thanks:
We wish to thank the following people who have taken the time to support us by contributing during the lifetime of development for Project True Viking. We appreciate all of your help throughout our development. And it is with your help and support that helped us make it here to our first ever release. We appreciate the help more than than you'll ever know!:
WR5, Kiory, RedRogueXIII, Hell, Crash, Tenoyl, MikePhoeniX, Christian Øelund, Stefan Engdahl, Iansky, Kouoaeha,Troska, Toadie, SPS Team, da12thMonkey, Tom3dJay, Syn, Tigg, Thanez, ArtemSh, warden_1, JSRS Studios, Ca Chua, hatchet, Zeealex, Reyhard, Darkstorn, Sylon, MediumSolid.
A Very Special Thanks:
StalkerGB, R0adki11, Adacas, Slatts, Sabre, Jawolf55, CrazyCorky, Sgt. Potter, Laxeman, and so many more people both on the Bohemia Forums as well as our old Facebook page that had always supported and cheered for us for so long since our beginnings with Project ASTFOR!
License / Disclaimer:
The work contained in this distribution is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. You can view the license by going to:
Please note that the above mentioned license gives the right to the PTV Development Team to waiver any of the conditions. Thus, you must contact the PTV Development Team to obtain official permission to modify our work.
NO COMMERCIAL USE:
As an addendum to our standard license, you may not use the included material for commercial purposes. This also includes running any part of our mod and its contents on servers that make use of any form of monetization including (but not limited to) donate-reward systems, "pay-to-play", etc.
The PTV Development Team provides our mod freely to the Arma Community. We have no plans to change this. Thus, we will never charge people to use our mod nor will we ever be apart of any type of monetization schemes.
Bohemia Interactive's approval of your monitization scheme does NOT grant you any type of rights to waive this clause of our EULA.
DO NOT RE-UPLOAD TO STEAM WORKSHOP:
As an additional addendum to our standard license, we expressly prohibit the distribution of any content of this package by itself, or as part of another distribution, using the Steam Workshop by anyone other than official members of the PTV Development Team.
NO USE OUTSIDE OF ARMA 3:
This add-on is provided for Bohemia Interactive’s Arma 3 series only and is not to be used with VBS or any of its derivatives built for the purpose of military training without written permission from the PTV Development Team.
(29-10-2020 - updated as it happens, displayed in news once every month)
- Fixed an error with the ACOG 2D (PIP) overlays
- Forgot to include the fix for a screwy magazine bug. (sorry!)
- Last Audio Tweaks on the 890's firing sound (until I can get my new modern pc built. Previous version relocated to "Optionals" folder)
- Further attempt at tweaking/improving the ACOG 2D (PiP) optics
- Tweaked slightly the Elcan reticles, especially on the 2D version as the original I felt was slightly too big and chunky (or is it just me?)
Final Update (unless something comes up in the future. Explaination here: https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/222851-project-true-viking/?do=findComment&comment=3417612)
- New mags
- M14 mag compatability added
- C79 Optic added
- Tweaked 890 rifle sounds
Thank you for supporting PTV up until now. We wish things could have worked out better and could have continued to develop this project and see it grow bigger and better. Maybe if we get a new team of interested capable modelers and/or an Arma 4. *knock on wood*
- Yet another reupload of the characters.pbo's. Should (hopefully) work now and show all of the helmets.
- Forgot an actual pbo. Don't ask me how that happened, it just did, ok? (lol)
• Helmet variants with Goggles
• Helmet Variants with Goggles cover
• More Aimpoint w/ 3x Magnifier versions
• PPEffects implimentation to optics (i.e. outside blurring, etc)
• IRLaser/Flashlight combo model
• various small tweaks and fixes
• first implimentation of various retextured vanilla ground vehicles to give the community at least something to use to transport forces around in missions as temporary placeholders for the planned counterparts:
Hunter - (placeholder for Mowag Eagle IV's)
AFV-4 Gorgon - (placeholder for Boxer AFV)
FV-720 Mora - (placeholder for CV90)
MBT-52 Kuma - (placeholder for Leopard)
• Vehicle's included come in Woodland, Winter Woodland and Desert pallets that you can choose in the vehicle garage when placing in the editor or zeus.
NOTE: These are first passes, so not as dirty as I had wanted. I did an "oopsie" in Photoshop when doing the Leopard with some of the layer masks, so I was not able to bring over the dirt layers to remask for the other vehicles. So I'll have to try to remake it from scratch again. I got annoyed at how much of a pain it is to retexture and not have the splinter look all weird with horrible seams and breaks everywhere which was a bit draining. So I opted to just release them as-is and will go back over them maybe in the future if we still can't find anyone to help us out with modeling the proper planned vehicles.
Also in the future we will be adding in the HEMTT's as MAN Truck placeholders as well as the Hummingbird, Mowhawk and Hellcat's for helicopter roles and also the Sochor as a standing placeholder for the K9 Thunder self-propelled 155 mm howitzer. It just takes a lot of time to do and match. So hang in there, they are coming! :)
SPECIAL THANK YOU:
The PTV Team would like to take a moment to give a very big thank you to Avery of the Aegis Mod for sharing with us some templates to make retexturing placeholders a lot less of a horrible nightmare to do. Super big thanks, Avery!
- HOTFIX: PDW-M/98M Vertical Grip anim bug
- [ADDED] RHS Grippod system integration
- [ADDED] 890 variant with magwell & new handguard
- [ADDED] Retextures of some backpacks, CBRN suit and LDF High-Cut Helmet in ADF camo pattern (SUPER HUGE THANKS to PTV Community member NAM for putting them together for us and sending them over for integration!!) [Note: Requires Contact DLC to use them in-game!]
- [Tweaked] ACOG 2D (PiP) reticle to remove the glow to try making it a little more consistent with the 3D version. (May get further tweaks down the road to match more close to CUP's ACOG PiP optics in the future)
- Small experimental tweak to 890 recoil value
- New experimental sounds for 890 rifle (previous build sounds version backed up in the /optionals directory)
- New 890 M2 variants with new handguard model
- New LLM01 Flashlight weapon accessory
- Uniforms with placeholder glove models
- Custom Squad Group added to Editor. (will expand as our content grows, obviously)
- CBA PIP optics variants added
- MG3 belt visual bug fixed
- New (experimental) 1st person firing sounds for 890's, Negev/Minimi, MG3's. (original sounds located and signed in the Optionals Folder)
- Rate of Fire fixes/tweaks implemented across weaponry
- Mag Proxy changes
Initial Release Includes:
• Revision Viper P4 Helmets (OD Green, Tan, Woodland & Desert Camos, and scrim variants).
• NFM Thor Plate Carrier System (OD Green, Tan, Woodland camo).
• 1st iteration of our own custom made uniform (UBACS & Trousers) in Woodland & Desert camo patterns.
• Various weaponry and optic systems (*subject to change in the future).
• Small selection of basic setup groups to help get you started in the Eden Editor.
- Community Base addons A3
- BI forums