Date: 2020-07-23 10:15
Auto Weapon Lower (AWL) is a simple QOL mod that automatically lowers your current weapon based on a configurable set of conditions.
One of my biggest pet peeves with Arma is that your character defaults to holding his weapon raised and pointed. Not only is this unrealistic, it increases the potential for friendly fire and affects stamina conservation (especially with ACE).
You can change the settings of AWL in the addon options under "Auto Weapon Lower". There are a number of configurable "checks" that you can enable or disable at your preference. Enabling a check means that particular condition will block AWL from activating. For example, enabling the check for "Leaning" means your weapon will not lower if you are currently leaning. Disabling a check means AWL will not even consider that condition.
Additional features include:
- default and additional shooting delay for lowering weapon
- restore weapon state after accessing gear and using vanilla medical
- automatically enable/disable check for weapon flashlight/laser during the daytime
- speed up weapon lower/raise animation
All settings automatically apply once you change them; no need to restart the mission!
To install Auto Weapon Lower you should use modfolders to keep it seperate from the official game content to prevent issues.
With Arma 3 you can use different ways to set up your modfolders to use custom content you have downloaded.
Please visit the Arma 3 Mod install instructions page for more information about using custom mods and addons in Arma 3.
In the future, I would like to replace Arma's clunky weapon lowering with a new animation (gesture), similar to Squad's implementation. This new gesture will be less pronounced as well as being quicker to switch to and from.
If you encounter a bug or unintended behavior, please make a new steam discussion about it!
- Added a toggle keybind that lets you toggle AWL on or off at will. The keybind is unbound by default. You can find it under Controls > Addon Controls > Auto Weapon Lower.
- Added a firedNear check. When the firedNear check is enabled, nearby shooting (besides your own) will prevent your weapon from auto lowering. This check is disabled by default.
- Added delay and distance for firedNear check. Do be aware that setting the distance to its highest value can potentially affect performance if the current situation has a lot of firing.
- Fixed an issue where the shooting check would be applied inconsistently.
- Fixed an issue where using Shift+R to clear a jam in ACE would prevent your weapon from auto lowering until you reloaded.
- The shooting delay can now be increased to a maximum of sixty seconds.
- added auto lowering for handgun
- added animation speedups for handgun animations
- fixed animation loop bug in ACE medical menu (primarily affected handguns)
- check for Walking is now more robust as it uses the command isWalking rather than relying on key presses
- fixed bug that caused the ACE "Check Ammo" feature to temporarily break AWL (the mod thought checking ammo was the same as reloading but the reload flag never finished)
- changed logic behind leaning check. Now goes by head position rather than keybinds, which is more reliable in scenarios where people use toggle keybinds.
- fixed bug that occured when auto lower on ACE medical menu was enabled. If the player was prone, opened the menu, and put the gun on their back they would stand up because AWL tried to lower their nonexistant weapon while prone.
- fixed bug where opening the ACE medical menu while ADS would force you to first person, even if you were in third person before ADS'ing.
- added setting to automatically lower your weapon upon opening ACE medical menu
- weapon resting check is bypassed if resting off friendly unit while looking at them (essentially putting your muzzle in your buddy's chest)
- Reworked animation speed up and now it should be functional with ACE!
- Main lowering detection is now activated with a per frame event handler rather than through animation changes. This should increase reliability of lowering detection across the board.
- return to lower after falling animation
- removed speedup when ACE advanced fatigue is running. Speedup was not being applied consistently.
- lowering conditions should now be checked after raising weapon or un-ADS'ing
- lowering conditons should now be checked after you stop firing
- fixed issue where quickly moving and stopping over and over could cause weapon to incorrectly lower
- refactored pretty much the whole thing. Oh my god, there are functions now!
- changing delays mid-mission should be fixed now, as well as having a more consistent shooting delay.
- sped up the "gear menu exit" animation so you can get to lowering faster. The speed goes off your settings.
Fun new bugs and bad things:
- if your weapon is lowered when in the gear menu, upon closing it your weapon will raise and quickly lower again. Arma really likes raising your weapon. This applies to FFV seats in vehicles as well.
- very rarely, your weapon will raise itself back up for seemingly no reason.
- performance has actually decreased somewhat, but you can't tell the difference.
- animation speedup is not entirely consistent.
- toggle detection should now be more accurate when going prone and entering/exiting vehicles
- AWL should now more reliably kick in when still or switching between standing and crouching
Known bugs and TODO:
- toggle detection is still not 100% reliable (screw you Arma). I'm considering implementing a feature that essentially resets the mod when you manually lower your weapon to combat this.
- animation speedup isn't 100% reliable because I'm bad at coding. Don't use spawn and sleep, kids.
- additional shooting delay is inconsistent.
- toggle detection should now work for all keybinds. This includes double taps and keybinds with modifiers.
- added vanilla medical state detection. The corresponding setting in addon options is now functional. ACE already restores weapon state after medical.
- slight tweak to make animation speed up work with ACE. Be advised that this speed up only applies to the stopped lowering/raising animations.
Known bugs and TODO:
- changing delay values mid-mission can sometimes cause the script to break. Restarting the mission is a temporary work-around until fixed.
- added animation speed up settings. You can now choose to speed up the lowering/raising animations and choose your multiplier (up to 2x). This is to mitigate Arma jankiness until I create my own animation.
Known bugs and TODO:
- animation speed up settings do not work correctly with ACE. Will be fixed in the future.
- medical state detection does not work. The current setting in the addon options is placeholder. Medical detection will work with vanilla Arma and ACE in the future.
- implemented auto lowering while moving. The moving option in the settings now has an effect. If disabling this check, it is recommended to raise your default delay. AWL will not be applied while sprinting or going prone.
- expanded range for default delay. Default delay can now be set from 0.5 to 10 seconds, like the shooting delay.
- implemented lazy evaluation to increase performance of main detection logic
- added automatic, configurable daytime detection to enable or disable flashlight/laser checks, i.e. flashlight/laser can be ignored during the daytime where it is not visible
- init commit
- Community Base addons A3