Bovington Camp is a real location in the Southwest of England. Its primary use is to teach members of the British Forces to drive and use all the vehicles in the British inventory. But it is also used to test and develop new equipment and improvements to existing kit.
The map was started after a conversation with MikePhoenix about having a map to test our vehicles on. I blame him for all that followed. This represents a lot of blood, pain sweat and so many tears its really not funny. It is not the best product I've ever released. And I'm reluctant to release it in this state. But so many people want to get hold of it I've chosen to let it escape into the wild.
16.777 sq Km
99,960 ish objects.
Some custom roads,
Lots of custom objects,
600m Firing Range with custom firing points.
25m Pistol Range
To install RKSL Bovington Test Area you should use modfolders to keep it seperate from the official game content to prevent issues.
With Arma 3 you can use different ways to set up your modfolders to use custom content you have downloaded.
Please visit the Arma 3 Mod install instructions page
for more information about using custom mods and addons in Arma 3.
If you would like to donate, I would appreciate it. Especially now with COVID its hard for people to do but If you like the map and our addons dropping me a Kofi would be appreciated: https://ko-fi.com/rkslstudios
Some things you really need to understand:
1) This really is an UNFINISHED, WORK IN PROGRESS!! Lots of broken and messed up things.
2) You MUST set your view distance to no more than 4000m to get the best performance. It uses and 4096x4096 height map and has a 1m per vertex resolution and any view distance over 4k causes massive FPS drops.
3) It will be updated and improved upon over time. That time frame may be months or millenia.
4) This version is a slight step backwards in terms of progress in that it has a lot of placeholder buildings and objects.
5) The green buildings are placeholders for custom buildings. These will be swapped out over time.
6) White objects are unfinished or I've screwed up. They will be replaced faster than the green buildings.
7) It was intended from day 1 to be an internal project soley for Mike and myself.
8) If you want to whine and whinge about it, just unsubscribe and move along.
9) And if you cant resist and are going to whinge. Be constructive and make a Bug report here: BUG TRACKER: https://www.rkslstudios.info/index.php?/bugtracker.html/a3addons/bov_test_area/
Credits & Thanks:
Created by: RKSL Rock
Custom Objects by: MikePhoenix and RKSL Rock
- Siddy - (when he could remember to download the right version)
- John M - Lots of ref pics and advice.
License / Disclaimer:
(05-01-2021 - updated as it happens, displayed in news once every month)
ADDED: Adds a camp in the SW.
ADDED: Large Multi purpose are cleared for compositions such as kill houses etc.
ADDED: Bridging Test Areas. Concrete lined basins and areas to test bridging tools.
ADDED: Airport Structures
ADDED: ~3km of fences and barriers to improve AI road use.
ADDED: Custom Road Markings and Signs - still ongoing.
REMOVED: Some Easter eggs for the moment.
REMOVED: ~130 Trees
CHANGED: Lighting tweaks. Feedback appreciated.
- FIXED - Geo location this has had the desired effect on the lighting.
- ADDED the River Piddle. Yes that is its real name.
- ADDED extra hescos at various locations
- FIXED - several uneven roads.
- ADDED - Lots of reeds and bushes along the river banks.
- Added several new tracks
- Added several bridges.
- many more small tweaks and changes.
First Public Release
- BI forums