Name Panthera itself comes from Slovenian history of "black panther" crest. Map itself is based on the real height data of Slovenia's Northwest part in Europe - named Gorenjska Region.
"Gora" in Slovenian means mountain and Gorenjska region (represented in Panthera) certainly lives up to its name being home to most of Slovenia’s biggest mountains, including the highest of them all – Triglav (three heads) standing at an impressive 2,865 metres. The Julian Alps and the beautiful Triglav National Park are the main features of the region – offering not just outstanding scenery, but a wealth of plant and animal life and an abundance of outdoor activities. It is also home to the unforgettable lakes Bled and Bohinj. It is almost impossible to decide which one you prefer – Serene Bohinj and its majestic mountain setting or fairytale Bled with its seventeenth century church on an island overlooked by a castle perched on a rocky outcrop.
Fantasy story to go along with the new island:
Massive climate changes rocked the entire world and heavy ocean flooding left only numerous islands. Panthera is luckly one of them, but people didn't unite in this disaster - army is able to protect only major towns, villages form their own protection squads and neighbouring countries (in order to survive) invade the last island between newly formed sea. Armor is scarce, but several airports serve as an air bridge for more equipment and weapons...
Almost everything exists in the real World. But there are couple of fictional (FAKE) areas added to improve gameplay. One of them is a desert part on the SouthEast and entire Northern Sector (Austrian Coast) is also fictional with tropical vegetation and small villages, not to forget a fictional racing track
- Gorenjska region is in fact NW part of Slovenia in Europe and in RL it isn't an island, of course.
- due to heavy real-life vegetation and gameplay issues author' had to resize a sector of ~40x40 klicks (kilometers) down to 10km x 10km terrain, quite enough for a small infantry operation supported by light armor and choppers. Of course jets and heavy armor can be used too but it requires a lot of skill and tactics in such harsh terrain. Large mountains and deadly valleys can be tough even for the most experienced fighters. Roads are basically only way to travel around (except air transport), but dense vegetation and many chokepoints can be fatal for a single vehicle or even an armoured convoy, not to mention Panthera's terrain layout can be fatal even for an experienced pilot. Therefor recommended way of travel is tabbing a.k.a. by foot.
- first plan has been to create an entire Slovenia (of course resized to ArmA), but too many details were lost on mountain ranges. Slovenia is very similiar to other European countries with vast forests, several rivers, lakes and lush vegetation.
- real-life counterpart towns in the area had to be resized to small villages, couple of them listed here: Radovljica, Bled, Jesenice, Mojstrana, Kranjska Gora, Kobarid, Tolmin, Bohinjska Bela, etc. Map now features over than 60 settlements/places, of course much smaller than real life counterpart.
- texture is based on 10240x10240 composite of various satellite images and photoshopped in couple of places.
- there are four airports present:- Bovec (real one, small for mainly helicopter operations or for very very daring pilots)
- Lesce (real one is cessna/soaring plane capable, but in-game runway is the sake of gameplay paved and much bigger, so fighters & transport planes can use it)
- Arnoldstein (fake one, Arnoldstein doesn't have one in RL, but this one has been added for better gameplay and mission makers' ideas coming to life. It supplies Tarvisio on SW. Its also the biggest airport with a long runway.
- Smugglers (another fake one, this one stands in the desert and locals use it for smuggling operations in and out of the island), supplies the Town of Skooma.
all roads are based on real-life data and cover all sectors of the map.
first try to explore the island by positioning your squad on one of the four airports and launch vehicle and air patrols from there. Don't forget to visit highest peak Triglav or a skijump in Planica (NW Valley)
To install the Island Panthera A3 you should use modfolders to keep it seperate from the official game content to prevent issues.
With Arma 3 you can use different ways to set up your modfolders to use custom content you have downloaded.
Please visit the Arma 3 Mod install instructions page
for more information about using custom mods and addons in Arma 3.
"It's 2015 almost, mapmaking for such a popular game must be easy, right? Wrong "
I'm from Slovenia (Europe) and I've been a level designer for other games/simulations for ~15 years now. Many of you know me & my work from Arma 2, a bit less from Armed Assault (Arma 1) and even smaller number of folks from OFP aka Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (original Bohemia's game released back in June 2001). I'm an avid mapmaker/addon-maker for this Community and I get a lot of requests to release some my "old" work from previous titles to the Arma 3. I'm also a C/O for SBP (Slovenian Black Panthers) team that gets to play at least once weekly (Thursdays). Team has a rich (and also turbulent) history since 2002. We absolutely love to be hand in hand with realism in mil-sim games, well .... with a hint of zombie/alien/dinosaur chase now and then to break up the monotony
If I'm to release my old maps to Arma 3 I better enhance them while in the process, right? Right After a very long wait for necessary tools by BI and that fiasco that actually holding back work and waiting on A3 that proved to be "alpha" or maybe early "beta" was, I gathered enough courage to get my hands dirty, overcome all new mapmaking problems and issues, to release some new stuff now that Altis is slowly "cooling down". As I've predicted, BIS in 1-year managed to release huge amount of patches, polish the A3 "sci-fi arcade shooter" into a well-polished "sandbox game" we've all wanted.
You cannot imagine on how many issues I've come across with "new" tool Terrain Builder official tool, how many sleepless nights I've gone through banging my head, well upper one... just figuring out that bridge objects (BI original ones!) that I used on the maps in 2 previous titles worked, but were crashing A3 game to CTD now... But here I am, stubborn as always, finding a way
I would like to thank all the guys that helped me in the process: Bushlurker, Ben Rampling, Mikero, M1lkm8n, Hatchet, fabiano_celentano, jpauling1411, just to name a few! Also big thanks to Matt, Placebo, Dwarden, and some BI devs for pointing me in the right directions. And of course, all the people credited in my previous releases as stated in attached readme.txt files.
Credits & Thanks:
Created by: IceBreakr
Contributors: PeterGrozni (ideas, feedback), Randy (normal mapping), SBP Team for extensive testing and valuable feedback, MAj Z. (Aljaz Tower object), Sgt.Ace/Atsche (A1-A2, Clutter & Plant configs), Kju (configs, help), Mikero (configs, awesome tools, help & support), Mondkalb (crowdstand at Arnoldstein Airport), Opteryx (protection wall), Bushlurker, Ian Banks (new roads), M1lkm8n (support), Hatchet (p3d help), fabiano_celentano (new weather, skies), Flossy, Nicholas Bell, Jakerod, Foxhound - thank you all for the contributions and support.
Testers & bugreports: SBP Team, Monsieur, Sgt.Ace, Kol9yn, SmukY, Spidi, Sjaba & Team L.A.M.B.S.
Special thanks: Bohemia Interactive for making of ArmA series.
License / Disclaimer:
Author: Lado Crnologar aka IceBreakr (ice AT icebreakr.info, SKYPE icebreakr, FB icebreakr)
All rights reserved.
Author grants you, as the enduser, a personal right to download, install and play with the island. This right does NOT include the possibilities to reverse engineer or even abuse content of the island addon in your own addons, games, game content or missions (scripts). Author can not be made responsible for ANY damage that could occur from the use of the addon. This island addon is for entertainment purposes only. Any military or commercial use is strictly prohibited. You are NOT allowed to exploit, redistribute and/or modify the content. You may use the island addon in conjunction with the game "Arma 3" by BIS in its original form (as in original 7z archive) only. If you want to use island addon or parts of island addon in your own addons or new game, you have to get written permission from the author.
"Island and *.pbo files supplied with it need to have original .bisign files attached and no modification or reverse-engineeering is allowed. Island and addons are forbidden to be used on servers that require donations, unless those donations are merely covering the running costs of the actual server (donations/payments must not be over $1,500 per year). If donations or other payments are made for in-game services that improve player gameplay or favorize paying players in comparison with other non-paying players, those island and accompanying addons (*.pbo) are NOT allowed to be used. Any mistreatment of these rules stated here by an individual or group can and will be prosecuted by a legal team. Expressly, for island/addons use with "life" mods and TCs (Total Conversion mods) you need a prior written permission by the author."
Please report bugs to:
- the author via contacts above under 9.)
- @Official BI Forums (forums.bistudio.com) where feedback will be provided.
Official website for my islands is: http://www.icebreakr.info/
- fixed runway marker pieces that somehow got wrecked by Terrain Builder application
- removed dependency to CUP Terrains Maps, only Core is required!
- optimized lighting settings
- improved ground textures
- added runway lights to Boriana Airbase
- added streetlights to several villages and towns
- added new long bridge connecting Savagia and Maleficio islands
- various smaller fixes
fixed skies & lighting that got wrecked with release of official patch 1.60+
lakes now visible via CUP Terrains, but still buggy with fog present
road and roadside object tweaks
dded runway and other lights to airports except Boriana (wip)
replaced ibr_rn.pbo addon with optimised ibr_pantheraobjects.pbo
- new huge island: Savagia (inc. Felis Prison and couple of small settlements)
- connected Savagia to Rubina with bridge
- enabled dust effects for all terrain types
- hangar height fix @ FOB Boriana
- smoothened asphalt runways @ FOB Boriana
- removed vegetation from two buildings in Rubina
- removed tree from a road near Southeast Rubina gas station
- rock fix at Vulcano Turk
- removed lamppost from river in Arapovo
- various other tweaks
added two new huge islands: Fortieste and Isla Rubina
additional terrain smoothing and various improvements
improved satellite image design
replaced bugged bridges with new ones, AI now drives over them!
removed two bushes growing out of the road
fixed fountain height at Malcolm's Hacienda on Dino Island
substantial military upgrade of Armybase/FOB Boriana
- massive improvement of hills & mountains (rock formations)
- fixed runway markings to correct specs (magnetic azimuth of the runway's heading in decadegrees)
- set up some basic lightning on streets in bigger towns
- ice_zoofence warning eliminated
- replaced couple of houses with new A3 ones
- new factory and warehouses in Porto Ritmo
- upgraded Visitor's Center to Villa structure
- fixed carwreck location (059093)
- removed dual building (091003)
- ammo bunker extended to hill (081011)
- guard tower now facing road (095031)
- tweaked river crossings heights on Nuba
- first release of island for Arma 3 engine
- hugely improved map
- 5m terrain grid (10m in A2)
- new island Nuba on Northeast
- new region with town Porto Ritmo on Southeast
- brand new fast highway connecting North & South on East coast
- smoothed out terrain and new roads (some are broken, as in RL - bad maintenance)
v3.0beta1 | v3.0beta2
- test version for SBP Team internal tests
- BI forums
- Community Upgrade Project - Terrains Core